Sudden Chicken Death Syndrome?

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I let the chickens out this afternoon around 4:30, Rosabelle hung back a little, not wanting to come out of their chicken yard. I thought it was because two of the grandkids are here, and the chickens are scared of the kids' sudden movemments. Soon she was crouching, allowing one of the kids to pet her. She was very calm, then I soon realized, her comb was pale and she was unsteady on her feet, using her wings to balance when she tried to walk. Wouldn't eat mealworms or drink fresh water. Went to hide under the chicken house. 2 hours later, I found her lying on her back dead. I saw no symptoms of respiratory issues, no eye discharge, no runny poop, no swelling. I'm wondering if she could have had a stroke or something similar. She seemed fine earlier in the day, and laid an egg around noon.

R.I.P. Rosabelle. Aged 14 months. She was a sweet girl, a good layer, and was always the first one to run to me to see if I had mealworms for her. :hit

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, I'm not going to panic unless I get other deaths. I'm more of the Taoist...

Detlor Poultry

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I advise taking preventative measures (such as Amprol) since you obviously love your chickens very much. These two diseases are very common, contageous, and deadly, but they can be stopped.

desertlady

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
so sorry ! I had a young hen that died too, She looks healthy to me ! I was baffled all this time trying to find out why she died. :(

Latest posts