sue Monsanto for tresspassing?

Finding God in the garden

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
That’s interesting. I’m skeptical it will pass and if it does the one with the deepest pockets still usually wins because of the cost of legal fees but it is a step in the right direction.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's a step. And with 2 major wins against Roundup now.. maybe a bigger step than it appears. ?
There's a place for everything, and everything has a use and a reason.
But I'd LOVE to see those particular 2 things strictly restricted (at least.. restricted from their current free and unrestrained distribution).

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Hope it passes!!! Monsanto has been making money hand over foot for DECADES now and suing farmers whenever they THINK that their pollen or the farmer's pollen has wafted across farmland. GMO crops, for better or worse don't sustain themselves. Most hybrids don't sustain themselves either but sometimes they both do. I think that we should stick to natural genetic abborrations, like "broomsticks" on pine trees.
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/trees/tgen/witches-broom-disease.htm
https://hortnews.extension.iastate.edu/2005/2-23-2005/witchesbroom.html
According to a Professor Emeritis and others a witches broom can occur naturally and creates a dwarf variety of certain pine trees.
http://www.gardensmart.tv/?p=current_episode
https://www.missouribotanicalgarden...ests-and-problems/diseases/witches-broom.aspx

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Monsanto no longer exists. Sold out.

Genetics suits were over ruled in court otherwise everyone can be sued for pollen that floats. It’s a no go....

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i'll be interested if anything comes of any attempts to make a GMO distributor liable for the offspring of their products.

so far i doubt it will happen as the "technology" is already out there in the wider world. the bees/wind/rain/etc can move pollen around beyond what the companies may claim.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Understand that law suits can go both ways. Does anyone want a plant breeding company suing them for pollen leaving their fields, garden, planter pots, etc. does anyone stand a chance with a corporation that has lawyers on staff? Be very careful WHAT you wish for.

Corporations that breed PAY people that are close to NOT grow crops that might contaminate their genetics. Industry standard. Do “organic” seed producers take this much security to keep their lines pure? We already know the answer to that-NO!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Understand that law suits can go both ways. Does anyone want a plant breeding company suing them for pollen leaving their fields, garden, planter pots, etc. does anyone stand a chance with a corporation that has lawyers on staff? Be very careful WHAT you wish for.

Corporations that breed PAY people that are close to NOT grow crops that might contaminate their genetics. Industry standard. Do “organic” seed producers take this much security to keep their lines pure? We already know the answer to that-NO!

the point has always been that it isn't about the issue of cross-pollination of normal plant genes that is the issue, it is the spreading of the GMO traits which many organic growers do not want.

issues of isolation and open-pollination are completely aside.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
No, as they tried to “steal” the genetics and got caught. Study history of AG.

The same genes that bacteria put in AG lines, are also being placed by “organic” growers manually on their products. Same product.

I will leave this discussion path. Just be careful WHAT you wish for without understanding the ramifications.

Latest posts