Suggest a plant for me

AmyRey

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We have a space in the back of our house (North side) that's between the deck and air conditioners. Almost no sun, even in summer, and it's really, really wet. Not quite standing water wet, but compared to the rest of our landscape it's really soggy.

We've got very sandy, very acidic soil.

The place in question is about 3' square and one side is the house. It also borders a concrete slab that the A/C stuff sits on, so I don't need anything with damaging roots.

I wouldn't mind something with a bit of height either (3-5').

I've considered hostas, but I don't know that they'll appreciate the dampness.

Ideas?

Here's a picture when we were still under construction. The deck is to the left of the units. (The plants would be where the shovels are in the picture). In seeing it during summer, they might get an hour or two of sunlight in the middle of the day but not much more than that.
0623001000.jpg

AmyRey

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Meh.... it's the side of the deck and we'll be out there a lot. Worms, while wonderful creatures indeed, aren't much to look at. lol

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wet ground isn't something I know much about, AmyRey.

What about elderberry or a dogwood?

Might be a little tall.

Steve

AmyRey

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
A dogwood would definitely be way too big.

lighthawk

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
AmyRey said:
We've got very sandy, very acidic soil.
Blueberries need acidic soil to grow well and they can easily tolerate sandy soil as well. I'm not sure however if they will tolerate wet feet. Perhaps you could build up the soil in that area so it can drain better? Raised bed maybe? Some of the lowbush varieties only grow to a height of about 3 feet. Toro is the variety that comes to mind. They also produce a very large berry.
Good luck

AmyRey

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I think I am leaning toward canna lilies. They'll be tall, yet stay slender enough to not cause the air conditioners any trouble.

Although, I'm not really ga-ga over canna lilies.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a wet spot, that is full shade, as well. I planted rocket plant (ligularia stenocephala) in that spot. It is quite lovely. The leaves are large and dark green. The flowers are tall spikes of yellow flowers. I planted it several years ago and it is still going strong.
Don't forget about ferns- some pretty ones out there- that will appreciate shade and dampness...Good luck!

AmyRey

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
lesa said:
I planted rocket plant (ligularia stenocephala) in that spot.
That's an interesting option. (Googling now) I've never heard of it.

Latest posts