Suggestions for fruit trees in Houston Zone 9a

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
What do you think about incorporating your ground parrots with your raised beds, RU?

They could occupy a wide "path" between the beds. Tending the plants in those beds might be easy enough from the outside if they are not very wide. And, you know parrots aren't very tall so it should be easy to provide their run ... uh ... path with some comfortable shade and wind protection. There might even be some coop "roof gardening" possibilities.

Yes, I have no real idea about fruit trees in such southern climes. Your neighbor's experience with a persimmon tossed my one thought right out the window!. We are right into the last days of the Japanese persimmon "harvest" here in the produce aisle of the soopermarket. I'm disappointed ...

Steve

RUNuts

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've got a day job so I'm not really into maintenance. Spraying trees sounds like maintenance. I don't mind sharing with the birds, squirrels and ground parrots. This food forest/garden type goal. Not really sure I understand that, but intensive gardening sounds like work. I'm a little bit lazy. My goal is to start learning now that the kids are off being inflicted on the world. Or is that the other way around?

@didits Yep. I'm thinking more chicken tractor type interaction. Ideally, I would have let the parrots strip the ground and prep it. I'm in a hurry, so I dumped a bunch of wood chips to get started. It'll be about 4 months until I uncover some to plant. I have about 6"+ wood chip cover currently. I'll put a tractor together - soon, laziness kicking in here - and prep more areas. The Bermuda grass isn't cooperating, so the back garden may get some attention with the tractor. Trying to manage my goals, the dogs who want to play with parrots, the kitchen garden (herbs & tomatoes) and the front garden are priorities. However I might love to do this, I don't see the tractor in the front bed. LOL. Time to move, as soon as colleges are paid for...

I need to start a new thread in the veggie garden section. It looks like a trip to the nursery to see what is available. The one that I've had reviews on is on the other side of Houston, so day trip! Cheers

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
In Livingston, I had a no till garden in beds. Not raised, just beds made by bricking walkways between the driveway and sidewalk. (yes, in the front yard) I can help you out with that not wanting to spend all your time in the garden. Retired now, but used to work 10-12 hours a day and I didn't have time to weed the garden every evening.

Collect cardboard. Lots of it. Rake back your wood chips. It would be best if you dug all the Bermuda out that you can, but if you don't want to, skip it. This would be a good time to clean out the coop, ahem, of the Asian Ground Parrots and spread in the garden. Lay the cardboard down, double layer, pile wood chips on top. When it is time to plant, rake wood chips back, cut hole in cardboard, dig hole. Drop heaping tablespoon or two of Epsom salt and blood meal in hole, mix with dirt at bottom. Insert plant, pack soil firmly around it, water. Pull mulch up to plant as it grows.

This worked well for me. A few weeds still made it, but were easy to pull, or just leave there. All I had to do was water and pick the vegetables. Every couple of weeks mix up some compost tea and water at the base of the plant.

We now have 8 acres, my garden is 70'x100' and some is covered in cardboard, some isn't. Getting there.

Here is a picture from our old house. I used paper feed sacks, this was broccoli.

IMG007.jpg

RUNuts

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I like it! I started a thread over in the gardening section. Yes, cardboard down and the grass is fighting. I scrape back the mulch and hand pull the shoots coming up and cover. Been doing a lot of research on you tube with back to Eden method, food forests, organic, no till gardening and all that. Taking all with a grain of salt and experimenting. I have no idea what will work, I just know I don't want to work anymore than I have to. LOL! Hauling wood chips is better than going to the gym.

Yes, just collected the Asian Ground Parrot droppings and put in the back pile of woodchips. Dug a trench and wheel barrowed the dropping encrusted wood chips. I'm learning! The rain this week watered it in well. I bet I have greener grass this year than ever. Just wish it wasn't in what I'm calling the garden...

I would like to start the fruit trees in the back garden area. Intention is to have the trees near or in the garden plot. 30' south from the northern fence puts the trees south of the garden area though. Might not be a bad thing. July sun is punishing. And no issue for the first 5 years.

Latest posts