Suggestions on Dehydrating Fruits and Vegetables

retiredwith4acres

Garden Ornament
Joined
Aug 20, 2011
Messages
336
Reaction score
0
Points
88
Location
Byrdstown, TN
Just added 9 frames of different varieties of tomatoes to the dehydrator! This is my first trial so will see how it goes. Trying to decide what to do next.
 

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Joined
Apr 13, 2010
Messages
473
Reaction score
26
Points
137
Location
8a NE GA
Zucchini Candy


3 or 4 Large Overgrown zucchini's
2 packs of cherry Kool Aid (or no-name brand) or what ever flavor you like
3 cups of water
2 cups of sugar


You need to peel the zucchini's and remove the seeds and seed membrane. Cut into strips/chunks, you want to make them uniform so they cook and dry evenly, but not perfection I cut 1 inch cubes and 1 x 3 inch strips.

Put water, kool aid, and sugar into boiler. I added 1 tsp of Citric Acid. When the sugar melts and it start to heat up slowly add the zucchini cubes. You need to stir the mixture and softly boil them for about 25 to 30 minutes until they are tender and fully colored with the kool aid. I ladle them out onto a cookie sheet trying not to take any of the liquid with me as I go. There should be liquid left over, I then cut another zucchini and make more, trying to use up all the kool aid mixture I can. Then I put them on the dehydrator trays and dry them. It took me almost 24 hours to dry them, but we have a humid climate here. The recipe says 14 hours and fliping them half way. I flipped some of mine, I didn't find it made a difference. After they reach a gummy texture I took them out and put them in a zip bad with a teaspoon of sugar and shook them to coat just a little. Absolutely delicious, next time I'm going to put the citric acid with the sugar shake for some tart taste.

I originally had 6 large zucchini's and processed all of them with one "brine" on Sunday. It's Friday and they're all gone..........

Hope this was clear as mud, lol.
Melissa
 

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Joined
Mar 20, 2009
Messages
6,673
Reaction score
5,282
Points
377
Location
Southeast Louisiana Zone 9A
retiredwith4acres said:
Just added 9 frames of different varieties of tomatoes to the dehydrator! This is my first trial so will see how it goes. Trying to decide what to do next.
I find it really helpful to go into the dehydrator and move the tomatoes around as they start to dry. Otherwise they can really stick. Just check every few hours to see if they are sticking and stir them up.
 

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Joined
Sep 5, 2010
Messages
1,669
Reaction score
957
Points
233
Location
Henryetta, zone 7B
I love dehydrating I've done

cherries
raspberries
pears
peaches
tomatoes
tomato skins
peppers
okra
all kinds of squash (plain, seasoned sweet, seasoned savory)
potatoes
herbs


I am going to try eggs so far I have come across two diff ways how does everyone else dehydrate their eggs?
 

baymule

Garden Master
Joined
Mar 20, 2011
Messages
13,428
Reaction score
15,614
Points
417
Location
Northeast Texas
Ridgerunner said:
retiredwith4acres said:
Just added 9 frames of different varieties of tomatoes to the dehydrator! This is my first trial so will see how it goes. Trying to decide what to do next.
I find it really helpful to go into the dehydrator and move the tomatoes around as they start to dry. Otherwise they can really stick. Just check every few hours to see if they are sticking and stir them up.
I spray the trays with Pam for that easy no-stick 'maters! :lol:
 

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Joined
Sep 5, 2010
Messages
1,669
Reaction score
957
Points
233
Location
Henryetta, zone 7B
baymule said:
Ridgerunner said:
retiredwith4acres said:
Just added 9 frames of different varieties of tomatoes to the dehydrator! This is my first trial so will see how it goes. Trying to decide what to do next.
I find it really helpful to go into the dehydrator and move the tomatoes around as they start to dry. Otherwise they can really stick. Just check every few hours to see if they are sticking and stir them up.
I spray the trays with Pam for that easy no-stick 'maters! :lol:
Awesome idea, I'm going to try that next batch.
 

baymule

Garden Master
Joined
Mar 20, 2011
Messages
13,428
Reaction score
15,614
Points
417
Location
Northeast Texas
hangin'witthepeeps said:
Zucchini Candy


3 or 4 Large Overgrown zucchini's
2 packs of cherry Kool Aid (or no-name brand) or what ever flavor you like
3 cups of water
2 cups of sugar


You need to peel the zucchini's and remove the seeds and seed membrane. Cut into strips/chunks, you want to make them uniform so they cook and dry evenly, but not perfection I cut 1 inch cubes and 1 x 3 inch strips.

Put water, kool aid, and sugar into boiler. I added 1 tsp of Citric Acid. When the sugar melts and it start to heat up slowly add the zucchini cubes. You need to stir the mixture and softly boil them for about 25 to 30 minutes until they are tender and fully colored with the kool aid. I ladle them out onto a cookie sheet trying not to take any of the liquid with me as I go. There should be liquid left over, I then cut another zucchini and make more, trying to use up all the kool aid mixture I can. Then I put them on the dehydrator trays and dry them. It took me almost 24 hours to dry them, but we have a humid climate here. The recipe says 14 hours and fliping them half way. I flipped some of mine, I didn't find it made a difference. After they reach a gummy texture I took them out and put them in a zip bad with a teaspoon of sugar and shook them to coat just a little. Absolutely delicious, next time I'm going to put the citric acid with the sugar shake for some tart taste.

I originally had 6 large zucchini's and processed all of them with one "brine" on Sunday. It's Friday and they're all gone..........

Hope this was clear as mud, lol.
Melissa
Thanks for the recipe!!! I copied it and saved it to my recipe file!! Thanks!!!
 

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Joined
Mar 20, 2009
Messages
6,673
Reaction score
5,282
Points
377
Location
Southeast Louisiana Zone 9A
baymule said:
Ridgerunner said:
retiredwith4acres said:
Just added 9 frames of different varieties of tomatoes to the dehydrator! This is my first trial so will see how it goes. Trying to decide what to do next.
I find it really helpful to go into the dehydrator and move the tomatoes around as they start to dry. Otherwise they can really stick. Just check every few hours to see if they are sticking and stir them up.
I spray the trays with Pam for that easy no-stick 'maters! :lol:
Have you had any problems with the canola oil in Pam going rancid during long-term storage? That's been my main concern about spraying the trays.

How do you store them? I just put them in a glass jar and screw a lid on, then keep them on a pantry shelf.
 
Top