summer squash and broccoli

Mr.potatohead

Leafing Out
Reaction score
My husband usually makes these posts but I decided to give it a try. I am a first time gardener and heard that I have to pick the flowers off my zucchini and summer squash to get them to bear fruit. Has anyone heard of this? Thanks in advance for any replies.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
There may be a step missing in what you have heard? :/

Many people do hand pollinate their squash/zucchini to help promote fruiting. In this case, you would have to cut a male flower off (the ones without a bulb at their base) and pollinate the female flowers. This is important to do when you either have had a problem with fruit production or you don't have too many pollinators in the area.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Welcome! :)

Well, unless there's a problem with the insects pollinatiing them, you shouldn't have to do anything. Not hand pollinating, and not picking flowers.

The female flowers have to be present to accept pollen, so that a fruit will grow. The fruit will begin to grow right at the flower's base. The flower can be seen attached to the little fruit, at first, then it withers, and dies, but it's work is done, so that's okay. :)

Have you got lots of flowers on your plants? If so, for how long, and have you had any fruit set?

If there aren't enough pollinating bugs there, then you might have to hand pollinate them, as OaklandCityFarmer said. You can always use a little paint brush, such as those which come in children's water color sets.

How's you're weather? Not too cool?

Good luck! :happy_flower

Mr.potatohead

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thanks for responding. I have alot of flowers all at once. They are just starting to wither off. I wasn't sure if that was normal or not as we have had a few days straight of down pours. I'm really not the greatest gardener as I am terribly impatient. My husband is the ture gardener.

adeledamate

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Mr.potatohead said:
Thanks for responding. I have alot of flowers all at once. They are just starting to wither off. I wasn't sure if that was normal or not as we have had a few days straight of down pours. I'm really not the greatest gardener as I am terribly impatient. My husband is the ture gardener.
How wonderful that you are giving it a go. You'll find that gardening can be very rewarding and believe it or not, relaxing. Don't give up. I've made many mistakes but have only learned from them. I'm also very happy to have found this forum and the backyardchicken forum. So many likeminded people with so much more experience than me. :)

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Mr.potatohead said:
I'm sure that they will set fruit, if not now then when the weather warms up. Be patient :p

Gardening is all about having failures and successes and of course being patient enough to wait for things to come about. Fortunately for us there are so many things needing to be done that we never have time to be impatient!

If flowers do not start setting fruit even after the weather warms then try hand pollinating. This should help.

Good luck!

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Perhaps, too, you could put some very quick growing items in the garden, so that you are not perpetually waiting?

Even if it's mint for tea, a basil plant so you can put leaves in your spaghetti sauce, or green onions, it's fun to use things from your garden, and makes the waiting more tolerable. And, given a chance in your circumstance, I'd cheat and buy herb starts! :coolsun

Have fun! :)

Rio_Lindo_AZ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I read that is if your plant is giving to many male flowers, you should cut some off so that they can start giving more female flowers.

Latest posts