Summer Squash

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My neighbor has been so awesome, he's been bringing us endless summer squash and green peppers. I've been giving him cukes and eggs since his chickens are still a month or so from laying.

However, I've made some stirfries and froze those for meals later in the winter. I also Made some stuffed squash with turkey sausage in a squash, tomato and butter cream sauce (fantastic).... I would like some more ideas so I can cook and freeze the few squashes I have left. I need this to get through the winter where fresh veggies are just too expensive, so I won't be buying much.
(I set up a small bed to have a winter garden in by covering it in clear plastic... I'll only have lettuce, cabbage and brocolli available then.)

Rence

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
You can also grow carrots, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, spinach and broccoli raab in the winter. Collards and kale do well in the winter and even with a bit of frost.

I think it's great that you're doing a winter garden. I've already got my row covers (some plastic I got from gardeners.com that's supposed to protect down to 24 degrees). I'm going to have to cut them to fit my garden containers though.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Its quite simple, change as you'd like.

1-2 good size summer squashes (or Zukes)
Scoop them out and put the squash into a food processer
add some onions, butter, parsley, fresh oregano, sage & olive oil

Brown 1 lb ground beef/turkey or turkey sausage

Drain fat

Mix in a handful of cherry tomatoes wait until they are heated through and then pour in the squash mixture.

Pour heated mixture into the scooped out squash... top with cheese... put in oven at 350 for 20 minutes

ENJOY!

linamree

Sprout
Reaction score
:) Talking about sqash, well I put out yellow squash, zucchini, and have they ever produced good. I had so much i used my zucchini and made bread and butter pickels, and a chow chow. I even cubed them up with some onions peppers and carrots and made what we call a mess from the garden, yum yum. I alos made pickel relish with zucchini. Now I am waiting for my butternut squash to rippen, I hear they make a wonderful pie and bread like a zucchini bread. I like to make up a few batches at once thn freeze them so I have all threw the winter.

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
There is a really good recipe for summer squash patties on BYC in the thread What Are You Canning Now?

I made spicy pickled summer squash. It's really HOT!!!
I'm not sure if you want to can any though?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You know, it doesn't have to be canned recipes.... frozen is good too. My neighbor just gave me 2 more squash today. So I need to find something nice to make of it and freeze the rest at least.

My daughter and husband will NOT eat it... so I need to make single servings. :rolleyes:

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
This is Dragonflies Ranch from BYC's recipe (I hope they don't mind!)

It's that time of the year for sharing zucchini recipes. This recipe is from All Recipes.com and was rated 5 out of 5 by over 400+ and we are right there voting it number one. These are the best thing for using those zucchinis that become baseball bats over night. I take out the seeds and only use the firm flesh. You can make these all summer and freeze them for winter months, just put a piece of waxed paper between. Then microwave a minute or less to defrost, heat in pan, griddle or toaster oven. We love them with a poached egg on top.

Zucchini Patties

2 cups grated zucchini
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
Salt to taste
2 Tbs vegetable oil or Pam cooking spray

Directions: In medium bowl, combine the zucchini, onion, flour, Parmesan and mozzarella cheese and salt. Stir well to distribute evenly, Add beaten eggs and mix well.

Heat a small amount of oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Drop zucchini mixture by the heaping tabelspoonsfuls, spread out to make nice round thin patty (if necessary), and cook a few minutes on each side until golden brown. (TIP: use Pam Cooking spray instead of oil and if you have an electric griddle you can make 6 or more at a time.

Enjoy!