Sundried tomatoes? Do I need to cover them?

ABHanna4d

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I just put 8 trays of tomatoes into my dehydrator and I started wondering if it would be ok to lay them all out on the deck table in full sun (since its over 102 degrees today) and then as the sun goes down THEN pop them into the dehyrator for the remainder of time they need. I dont want to run my dehydrator all day when its so hot outside and it makes sense to just set them outside. BUT will they get covered with bugs if I set them out in the open air without being covered. I dont have anything to cover them all to protect them from bugs (mainly flies), will it be an issue?
I would love adivce and pictures of anyone who dries their tomatoes "open air".
Thanks
Abby

ABHanna4d

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Also, can I dehydrate multiple things at a time? I have a huge dehydrator and dont want to run it if it isnt completely full.
It is full with 16 lbs tomatoes and next I would like to try dehydrating potatoes and eggplant but I dont have a full load of each so can I combine the 2? Is that an ok idea?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
My dehydrator is small- so I've never done two things at once. I would try it- maybe a little flavor transfer will occur, but there is only one way to find out! When I visited Italy, my daughters relatives open air dried tomatoes. They just laid them out and that was that. I guess they weren't worried about flies, etc. What about covering them with window screens, or some kind of netting? I was wondering if I could dry things in my car. I mean what could be hotter than that? Good luck- let us know how you do!

ABHanna4d

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
lesa said:
My dehydrator is small- so I've never done two things at once. I would try it- maybe a little flavor transfer will occur, but there is only one way to find out! When I visited Italy, my daughters relatives open air dried tomatoes. They just laid them out and that was that. I guess they weren't worried about flies, etc. What about covering them with window screens, or some kind of netting? I was wondering if I could dry things in my car. I mean what could be hotter than that? Good luck- let us know how you do!
I actually have the tomatoes on window screen trays and I dont ahve any extra screening... I could go buy some, but I just hate spending money. But also I dont want to ruin all the tomatoes! :(

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It depends on your heat and humidity. Your main problem will be fruit flies. If you can get them about half way dried in one day the fruit flies will lose interest in them. You can scatter sea salt over them to draw out the moisture and discourage flies but that will result in very salty tomato chips.
Try the Asian stores. They make a sort of screen tent that goes over things to keep out the flies. They used to use them here also. My mother and grandmother both used them on the farm but I'm not sure they still make them in this country. Maybe try one of the online Country Stores.

ABHanna4d

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
My dehydrator has something wrong with it (I think) so I moved it all inside to the oven...kindof a bummer since its 100 degrees outside, the last thing I wanted was to have it heating inside. But oh well! I tried sundrying them and it went really great until a cloud would roll by...when the tomatoes were in full sun the flies were gone, but once the tomatoes were even remotely shaded the flies would just come in crazy. After seeing that a few times I realized I definately needed some netting. I may try to make some type of "hoop house" type cover for my back table so I can do more dehydrating out there and save on using my dehydrator or oven...but thats definately for another day!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
lesa said:
I must find the article, but I did see one about doing fruit/veggie drying in your car!!! I can be done! Its good to keep the bugs off. :)

Will return if I can find it.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
What about using a few layers of cheesecloth on a frame of some sort to keep the flies at bay. Cheesecloth is so cheap!

schmije

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I've put different items in my dehydrator before. If you have something with a strong smell, it can transfer, but most things won't. My only advice if you're going to mix items is to either put anything that might drip on the bottom or put wax paper or saran wrap in between the layers. You don't want tomatoes dripping on your potatoes, for example.

Also, if you don't want to heat up your house during the day, just run the dehydrator at night. It's probably not a 'recommended' method, but I've shut mine off during the day and then turned it back on at night with the same stuff inside. Do you have a covered porch or patio? Another option is to run an extension cord out the door and run the dehydrator outside.

Latest posts