sunflower seeds question

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Has anyone ever salted and roasted their own sunflower seeds? I planted a variety of sunflowers and they are doing great! :clap I have quit a few LARGE heads of grey stripe. Can I enjoy some myself? Or are they all for the birds?

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Absolutely. I'm sitting here munching on a big paper bag of roasted seeds right now. I put them on a cookie sheet in the oven at 400F for about 10 min. You'll have to watch and get them out quickly as soon as they start to turn brown. I have tried spraying them with a very light coat of olive oil and sprinkle salt on them before putting them in the oven. The oil is only there to hold the salt on. It works OK but not great. I love roasted sun flower seeds.

ETA: my spelling stinks

stepstephens2

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I grow the Giant Russian Sunflowers and toast them in the oven how Smiles said... with one exception, I put them in a paper bag with A LOT of Kosher salt and shake them for about 2 minutes beforehand. The larger crystals of salt rub off a little easier onto the shells. You're going to be left over with quite a bit of salt, but it will do the trick.

Oh, and I don't toast them all. I save some for next year. I haven't had to buy fresh seed in a couple years that way.:)

i_am2bz

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm amazed ya'll have seeds - how do you keep the birds from getting to them first?? :/

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
i_am2bz said:
I'm amazed ya'll have seeds - how do you keep the birds from getting to them first?? :/
I watch and when the birds start to flock I harvest. You could try to tieing some netting around the heads if they don't seem ready and the birds /squirrels are on them. I usuallly have plenty to spare, plant lots!!!!

Latest posts