Sunflowers

jasonvivier

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
2014081595191748.jpg

Does anyone have any interesting sunflower pictures/varieties, past or present, growing in the garden?

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
harvest 2014 026.JPG harvest 2014 029.JPG harvest 2014 030.JPG harvest 2014 031.JPG harvest 2014 028.JPG
Past, unfortunately. I loves my sunflowers!! I didn't get seeds from these last year, so I really hope that I can get plenty of volunteers and seeds before we move. I had one rare variety in the mix called "Il Torre" from Italy (originally from Adaptive Seeds, a company that you should check out).

Just found out not too long ago that you can take the unopened flowers buds and cook and eat them like artichokes.

PhilaGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Very pretty! Did you not get seeds developing (many new varieties are male sterile so they don't shed pollen for the florist trade) or did the birds beat you to them?

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Very pretty! Did you not get seeds developing (many new varieties are male sterile so they don't shed pollen for the florist trade) or did the birds beat you to them?

Birds beat me to them for the most part, the sunflower patch was practically a sparrow magnet when it was up. If only I had pictures of how many of them flew out of the patch each time I walked by. I made sure that I didn't buy any male sterile varieties.

My other problem was the mold. Any seeds that I did try to save eventually molded no matter how dry they seemed. Humidity or do you think that they weren't getting enough sun and warmth to dry through completely? These sunflowers have some pretty small seeds.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
These are mammoth, taken from a second story window at my daughters house.
They were about 12' tall.

Picture 4715.jpg

I have tried so many times to plant them, I think something digs them up.
But last year I had a herd of chipmunks going around planting clumps of sunflower seeds ...everywhere!
Sure, it's okay when they plant them...:rolleyes:... so I let them grow ...

Picture 13419.jpg Picture 13436.jpg

I bought some seeds this year to try again and will try to start some inside, in paper pots.
Mammoth Russian.

jasonvivier

Garden Ornament
Reaction score

Heirlooms :)
Birds beat me to them for the most part, the sunflower patch was practically a sparrow magnet when it was up. If only I had pictures of how many of them flew out of the patch each time I walked by. I made sure that I didn't buy any male sterile varieties.

My other problem was the mold. Any seeds that I did try to save eventually molded no matter how dry they seemed. Humidity or do you think that they weren't getting enough sun and warmth to dry through completely? These sunflowers have some pretty small seeds.

I always think phosphorous soil additive every time I see a bird in the garden. :)

jasonvivier

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
These are mammoth, taken from a second story window at my daughters house.
They were about 12' tall.

View attachment 6707

I have tried so many times to plant them, I think something digs them up.
But last year I had a herd of chipmunks going around planting clumps of sunflower seeds ...everywhere!
Sure, it's okay when they plant them...:rolleyes:... so I let them grow ...

View attachment 6705 View attachment 6706

I bought some seeds this year to try again and will try to start some inside, in paper pots.
Mammoth Russian.

Hey now, those are real nice. I'm a big fan of the Mammoths.

Latest posts