Sunflowers

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am just not destined to be a sunflower grower.

As promised in this thread, I started some mammoth sunflowers in paper pots. They were healthy and doing great so I carefully planted a long row of them. They got about 2 feet tall and a young deer got under my fishing line deer fence and ate the tops off 6 of them. I added a line for short deer, good to go! THEN, a hail storm took out all but TWO! I straightened those two back up and tied them to a fence. (Hey, I'm desperate here :rolleyes:)

Flowers are finally forming, and I darn well better see at least ONE flower before a frost hits! :D

IMG_2693.JPG

Maybe next year I will just plant a WHOLE bag of seeds and hope the critters can't eat them all! Or I will just come here and daze at @catjac1975 photos. :)

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
When you plant your whole bag of seed....Soak and sprout them. The rodents will be less likely to dig up and eat them. Now that you have a sunflower coming into bloom let the plant ripen and drop the seed. They will come up on their own early. You can transplant the seedlings easily.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
When you plant your whole bag of seed....Soak and sprout them. The rodents will be less likely to dig up and eat them. Now that you have a sunflower coming into bloom let the plant ripen and drop the seed. They will come up on their own early. You can transplant the seedlings easily.

I will for sure do the soak and sprout thing next year. I was going to do that this year, per your suggestion, but our Spring was so cool and wet I decided to start some ahead... then the garden filled up. For volunteers, I have to have my fence up and secure early or the deer will get them, making note to self.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
June Steve? Wowee. Please tell me you started them right after Christmas.
I like those Jokers!
The kids planted a bunch of Mammoths and they are ripening seed now, they are impressively tall and beauteous. :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
June 28. Remember our record heat at that time?

They were transplants. That isn't so much for a head start as it is to keep something from digging up the sprouting seeds.

Initially, I suspected Maggie Pie. Wondered about voles. And now, believe it may well be Benjamin Bunny.

Steve

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm not sure what critter digs the seeds up, but I sure know who plants them ..

IMG_2962.JPG

My gardener chipmunk must not be around this year though, I have not found any clumps to thin and just a few late sprouts here and there. Ha, I could have used the help!

Latest posts