sunflowers

pon521

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Sunflowers indoor? Is it possible?
I love sunflowers and this is kind of question that I am thinking about last time: is it possible to grow them indoor? I found sunflowers' seeds which are 40cm in height on https://gardenseedsmarket.com/common-sunflower-seeds-helianthus-annuus.html so they are quite small. I don't have idea if it will work indoor, what do you think? Only place where I can grow them outside is my small balcony. If it is possible, what container should I have?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You did not have a response!

That might be because dampening your enthusiasm for a try isn't very fun. But, the smaller they are, the better.

The reason that they are called sunflowers is because of their response to the sun. Okay, the flowers also appear as big, round and yellow. They are full-sun plants in the garden. Indoors isn't full-sun even in a large south window. For one thing, the angle of the glass means that some sunlight is reflected outward. Of course, glass only allows some light through, no matter if the angle is appropriately at 90° to the sunlight. If the window is double glazed, then loss is doubled.

I can imagine some windows and glass doors as being very suitable for many plants and, altho far from ideal, the sunflowers just might be okay. What about perennial gerbera daisies? They are commonly grown in greenhouses. And, the flowers are sunflower-like! Chrysanthemums?

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
yes @digitS' full sun plants as the name implies.

if you do try them outdoors as a potted plant you might need to stake them up against the wind so you'll want a deep enough and large enough pot to make that possible (the weight of the soil and pot has to be enough to offset whatever the topgrowth might be).