sunny south NJ

Plainhat

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hey all. Yup, I'm new. Right at the moment I've spent the last year discovering the joys of container gardening after moving to an apartment. I was amazed at how well I made it a replacement for my old backyard garden and how much I could actually produce in a mad combination of pots in a small area.

At the same time, I am planning to move onto a 4-10 acre bit of land in Eastern TN or Western NC when I retire in a year and a half. (COUNTING THE MINUTES!!) I want to try gardening with chickens when I get there. So many plans.. so much to think about, but just not happening fast enough!

So for now I'm a container gardener and learning so much about what works and doesn't. So nice to find a bunch of gardening folk to rant and natter at!

Hat

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome to TEG, Hat from the "Garden State"

Plants are plants, whether they are in a field, planter or pot.

We had a TEG gardener who chose half barrels rather than raised beds and he had some very productive seasons. Not much difference between boxed beds and barrels, I would say.

Join in wherever you would like. Tell us about your balcony and please, keep us in the loop as you make your move to the country. Lots of us have had experiences with chickens and gardens. We should be able to help or just to bounce ideas off, and to and fro.

Steve

YourRabbitGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hey all. Yup, I'm new. Right at the moment I've spent the last year discovering the joys of container gardening after moving to an apartment. I was amazed at how well I made it a replacement for my old backyard garden and how much I could actually produce in a mad combination of pots in a small area.

At the same time, I am planning to move onto a 4-10 acre bit of land in Eastern TN or Western NC when I retire in a year and a half. (COUNTING THE MINUTES!!) I want to try gardening with chickens when I get there. So many plans.. so much to think about, but just not happening fast enough!

So for now I'm a container gardener and learning so much about what works and doesn't. So nice to find a bunch of gardening folk to rant and natter at!

Hat
Welcome to the forums, Please share all your know-hows about everything about gardening, Have a great day!!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
hi, welcome from mid-Michigan. i spent quite a bit of time wandering around eastern TN and western NC - i was looking for a place to live too. :) rented a place for a few years. eventually decided i was too far from family and moved back north.

Xerocles

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Welcome from South Carolina. Last year was my first attempt at container gardening. it was a flop. Hmmm. Similar to former attempts at "in the ground" gardening. But I'm stubborn and don't know enough to just quit. Come on in and join us in failed attempts-or laugh at our foibles and try and help us out.
Good luck on the upcoming retirement and move. Always tickles my heart to see someone giving up harsh Northern winters to join us in the more moderate climes here below the Mason-Dixon.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome from east Texas. After years of gardening in beds, we moved to 8 acres 5 years ago. My dream was to plant the ENTIRE packet of seeds, not just a few. Haha, I picked over 200 yellow squash! Ok so maybe I don’t need to plant ALL the seeds!

When you find your new home, be sure to chronicle your journey and take us along. I did that and it’s fun to go back and read where we started and where we are now.

WildBird

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Welcome! I hope I'll see you around the website!

Plainhat

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thank you all for the warm welcome!

Here is my "garden" (AKA the mess of pots and stuff) early last spring. Even the farms around my area were having problems with end blossom rot on their 'maters. I did too, but attacked with liquid seaweed and got a second late crop that was wonderful (need to remember that containers will need more feed than my carefully composted and mulched raised beds did). I had bunches of decorative plants just in case my new neighbors complained, but managed to get a good crop of peas, jalepeno and habanero peppers, ginger, tomatoes, two crops of beans, a couple of zucchinis and an abundance of herbs. I had enough peppers and ginger for a good 48 jars of two kinds of pepper jelly and froze some peas and beans for my winter soups. Not enough tomatoes to can last year, but I'm hoping I can this year.

I tucked a little cold frame back there and will be getting an early start on some things next month! Sadly, the garden is southeast facing so the sun doesn't fully make it there until later in the year.
20190620_171603.jpg

Last edited: