Sure hope the northeasterners are alright today

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
It does seem quiet this morning when normally those on the east coast begin posting here.

A lot of you northeasterners are in the midst of this record snowstorm. Hang in there!

When we had the record cold in Montana back in '89 those hit hardest were the old folks, especially when the power went out. Check in on any frail and elderly neighbors, and if you see the power company persons braving everything try to be the big help for those men climbing the poles. Back then I went out to help the power company employee climbing the nearby pole. You'd be surprised how a cup of hot steamy coffee helps, or being able to toss up a tool he dropped helps. I was never in the volunteer fire crew, but they do appreciate support, even if it's just being there to give a hand. Sometimes on occasion such as severe weather they are down to no backup crews left. Just having someone to be in the station can make the difference.

Another big help is just not having any severe problems of your own. Stay dry! Have your dry and warm clothes at the ready, even that really old coat. Having things at the ready like that makes it so you can help say a motorist stranded near your own place.

Stay on your toes my friends, stay safe, dry and warm, and remember the elderly and frail folks near you.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i think some might be without power or still trying to dig a way out of their homes. i had a snow drift that blocked my main door so i had a hard time pushing it away just to get out yesterday. i had been shoveling a lot yesterday because i parked my car right in front of my snow blower and didn't think of shifting around things before the storm. :rolleyes: i was saving the end of the driveway till i got enough room to back my car out when a neighbor came by with his plow truck and asked if he could take care of that for me!

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Glad you're ok! Storms like this can really show that sometimes a neighbor you hardly know is a better friend than you thought.

Folks will have snow all over their satellite dishes or branches pressed down in the line of sight of them.

I'm thinking of you all over there! If any of you are stuck with no other communication than internet maybe a message here can be relayed out for you.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wish I was in a snowstorm...Share the snow!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Both Stubbornhillfarm & SuperChemicalGirl are in Maine.

We had better send Chickie'sMom over to see about Pam (momofdrew) in the same New Hampshire town, right?

It isn't surprising that we haven't heard from Cat. There have been other Massachusetts & Connecticut gardeners but they haven't been on TEG in awhile.

Steve

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
On Fridays several friends sometimes get together at a little tiny mom-n-pop restaurant not far from where we live out here in the boonies. We were talking about the storm Friday and I happened to mention that I wished I could be in Massachusetts this weekend to see the storm. My comment was met by a couple of gasps and frightened looks. Well, heck, I love storms and deep snow - I can't help it. We only go around once.

I do hope that our gardening friends (and everyone else) are OK and enjoying the storm's results.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Both Stubbornhillfarm & SuperChemicalGirl are in Maine.

We had better send Chickie'sMom over to see about Pam (momofdrew) in the same New Hampshire town, right?

It isn't surprising that we haven't heard from Cat. There have been other Massachusetts & Connecticut gardeners but they haven't been on TEG in awhile.

Steve
she's a short drive down the street from me. i thought she was going to visit one of her son's to see her new grandbaby. so she might still be gone.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's right!

G'MomofTrever Pam made an escape!

Probably holding a grandbaby right now and walking in circles in the kitchen trying to get him back to sleep . . .

Steve

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can't identify with being snowed in, about the best i can relate to is a hurricane squatting over my house. When a storm is approaching, in times past, I have a text buddy. When cell towers are out, electricity is but a memory, for some reason, texts will go through. I have texted someone out of range of the storm wreaking havoc on my area, so they could post updates on the forum I was on. it would be a good thing for us to do here.

Bottom line, when you can't WATCH the news, it is because you ARE ON the news!!

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here in NY we got about a foot of snow. when I was a kid that would make everyone homebound for 3 days. Now with everyone having 4 wheel drive people are out hours after storm.

Latest posts