Sustainable Growing Project

Backyard Buddies

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My church has given several of us a wonderful opportunity to plant a garden in an unused 8,000 - 10,000 sf lot on the church property. Living in So. Cal, this is a HUGE opportunity as my entire lot isn't even that large and I'm accustomed to growing on a much smaller scale.

Many of us have read the books by Salatin, Pollan, and Kingsolver and have been mulling over the way to do this in the middle of the city. Each of us grows on a smaller scale at home and have considered the idea of a co-op with our fruit/veggies. This now gives us the opportunity to do it on a grander scale.

The idea is to plant an organic garden with crop rotations. The garden should be able to produce year round. It faces south west and measures approximately 70 - 80 ft. deep by 130 ft. or so wide. We will be getting the accurate measurements this next Saturday before the service. Those of us who grow at home will be donating from our home grown supplies as well.

The property is in zone 10 and Sunset zone 22.

The goal is to provide a means for participating church members and local needy folks to obtain and consume locally grown organic foods. A minimum of 10% will be given as a tithe to the needy or to organizations that feed the poor. The church will provide the water, but fresh produce will be available at the services for those who are not actively participating in the growing. Any freewill offerings given will be used to help pay the church back for the water and/or donated to organizations that feed the poor.

Another component that has been discussed is ongoing classes to teach others to live sustainably. I've already volunteered to instruct on raising chickens in the backyard and yogurt making (thanks MissPrissy!). Other classes will be on canning, cheese making, and organic gardening, of course.

I'd love your suggestions and any ideas for growing on a larger scale. Since this is a group project, I'd love to hear what has worked for you and/or any books or websites that you've found useful.

Carri

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Need some horse manure? I only feed alfalfa (no grasses) and they make it fresh daily. :cool: DH has a tractor so it's easy for us to scoop straight from the stalls and turnout into the back of a truck!

Carri

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Heck, I have a truck... and family in Tustin! I go there at least once a month to take my 93 year old grandma around on errands. It costs me $50 a month (two trash cans a week worth) to get rid of manure, so if you guys take just a bit, it would save me money, even if I took it there for you.
Just let me know!

Backyard Buddies

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hey, that's great! Is horse poo considered a hot manure? If so, how long does it need to compost before planting?

We do have plans to build composting bins into the project and that was discussed as another class topic. Obviously, I won't be teaching that one. My composting knowledge is limited to coop shavings, garden clippings, and kitchen scraps!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Will this be a true cooperative effort or a community of gardens and gardeners?

I have had experience in community gardens :hugs and with larger scale growing :tools but the co-op may be toughest nut to crack. At least, it would be for me :he.

Steve

Carri

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
It is hot, but what what my mom has always done is spread it out so it dries out, then tills it. I know some people don't like to use it but it's never done her wrong. What I do is bury it deep in the containers, and it seems like when the roots finally hit it, the plant just shoots!! For the beds I have now, I had DH take out a lot of dirt (we have too much clay) and dump in about 8 scoops of it. I bought about 12 bags of cheap amendment (is that what that stuff is?) and dumped that in along with old alfalfa and some other stuff I had around. I wet it down and tilled it a few times, and now I just put a layer of good dirt on the top.
As far as the manure, with these hots days coming up, it will dry and turn to powder pretty quickly if it's spread out.

Backyard Buddies

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Will this be a true cooperative effort or a community of gardens and gardeners?

I have had experience in community gardens :hugs and with larger scale growing :tools but the co-op may be toughest nut to crack. At least, it would be for me :he.
What do you see as being the challenge in this? I think it's really important to work through these things and refine ideas. Help me do that!

Right now, the plan is to do it as a co-op. They have used the space as community garden in the past and had problems with some of the members failing to maintain their plots. The idea is to let everyone have input as to what is grown, then to have a smaller group plot that out within the land. We hope to rotate crops, both for soil health, and to increase production, so I suppose that some sort of a block planting might work better than rows??? What do you think?

So, if we did it that way, it'll look like a community garden, but will be cared for by the group as a whole. I suppose certain gardeners could elect to care for one or so particular plots if they preferred or had more expertise with a certain variety of veggie.

That's for your input!

Backyard Buddies

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Carri said:
It is hot, but what what my mom has always done is spread it out so it dries out, then tills it. . . .As far as the manure, with these hots days coming up, it will dry and turn to powder pretty quickly if it's spread out.
How long have you let it dry before using it?

Carri

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Backyard Buddies said:
Carri said:
It is hot, but what what my mom has always done is spread it out so it dries out, then tills it. . . .As far as the manure, with these hots days coming up, it will dry and turn to powder pretty quickly if it's spread out.
How long have you let it dry before using it?
Not long. Less than a week. That's why I usually try to only pick up manure on Sundays during the summer!

OK, back to the garden. I think you will get much more out of raised, block beds. Think of it this way- You will get much more out of a 2x2 block than a 4x1 row. The row would do approx. 12 onions, but the block would do, what, 36? Not only that, but with blocks, you can seperate them with 1-2ft walkways and and take up less gardening room. Or, you can turn bigger blocks into triangles, and put a walkway in the middle.

Latest posts