Sweet autumn Clematis

bluebird

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Anyone's input on this? Have any sprouted for you ?

Injun Joe, I have a few seeds left, if you still want some.

TheNewBee

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I am interested. do you have any left? I can send a SASE tomorrow. I was going to buy some from Gurneys but this would be so much better. :happy_flower

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
bluebird said:
Anyone's input on this? Have any sprouted for you ?

Injun Joe, I have a few seeds left, if you still want some.
Thank you my friend !
I got them today, wow a lot of seed!

I am going out to prepare my seed pots. I made 54 little paper pots for these for over wintering. But I plan on sowing lots right out in the garden. I hope they can bring up the rear when the Morning Glories start to fade for the season.

I will keep a photo log of these fine seeds!

Oh and I have a friend I will be sharing some with! ;)

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
WooHoo, you go InjunJoe!

I cannot wait to hear the good news and see pictures. I bet they grow like weeds for you!

Have you visited any sites yet that talk about clematis germination? There are a bunch from the UK that start them in their greenhouses. I believe that their cooler temps provide a more "lengthier" time in the germination process.

I remember reading that some seeds can take several months to sprout and the biggest threat to them is fungus and rot during that time; I am guessing it can be like putting seeds in the compost, sometimes they cook. I sure hope that is just Cultivar specific and or a big fat rumor LOL ...., because I believe there is never a 'right' way and often plants and seeds do what they are not suppose to do accordingly. I constantly hear folks say, "that doesn't grow here" while pointing at one of my plants. :D

OK, I look forward to hearing your progress. This is great!

Ron

Autumn Clematis
this picture I found on the internet, the address is within the 'properties', a shared picture from Gardenweb (thank you pianolady). I find this one to be 100% a perfect specimen...how beautiful.
Clematis1.jpg

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Funny I have seen that picture on every different search I have done on this plant.

I will look more into germination but for now I am going to get some in right away! I plant something everyday! I feel the need to!

I have read about people having it take over. Not folks from here but......
But I also get the idea these people maybe are just a bit to lazy for such a fast growing vine!
After my first sip of joe in the morning I am out looking for rouge grass or weeds.

This plant should work great to fill the poles!

Thanks; Ron

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Funny I have seen that picture on every different search I have done on this plant.
I know what you mean about this photo. I am so mesmerized by it.

If you take it all in you can see the base of this single specimen, it really is quite compact for covering such a larger area. So be sure to think carefully when you get some started because if you plant like let's say 12 of them, you can only imagine the kind of space you will need properly to get the full bloom like this photo.

Of course, you could start an entire flat of them, get them through a good rooting season and then once Spring comes then offer them up somehow to folks. I cannot imagine who LOL :cool:

Ron

bluebird

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Awesome pic! I don't think I've seen that one. But oh so beautiful!!!
I just LOVE mine! And InjunJoe, you won't have any trouble with it sprouting! Mine seeds itself, or when ever a seed drops, it takes off. Mine is right outside the front door (on a chain link fence), so I can smell it whenever we go outside. I should take pix....

Don'tcha just love the "few seeds" I give you all? :throw

TheNewBee

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
wow what a pic! I did get my seeds too and it was alot!! thanks soo much! I haven't been able to plant yet due to school and work but am going to really soon(in a few more days). I want them to "take over" my privacy fence. I think it will be gorgeous :love

Latest posts