Sweet Corn in Western PA

bernie5711

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hi! I'm new to this site, my name is Bernie and I suppose I've reached that age/stage in my life where I've decide I want to grow things.
I wanted to get started next Spring with a garden my Grandson and I can play around in. He wants to grow corn and pumpkins. Finding info on how is easy. The types of corn is a little more difficult. Can anyone tell me what type of sweet corn would grow well in my area and produce large sweet ears for fresh eating and canning.

Thanks!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bernie, I find one of the best ways to learn stuff like that is to ask those around you who grow corn. If you have a farm/garden store or nursery in your area, you could go in now and talk to the clerks. They know what the best sellers are. If you wait till corn planting time, they may be too busy to talk to you at length. Independent stores will probably be your best source of info. Do you know what zone you are in? Probably 6a? I bet Incredible, Bodacious or Illini-Extra sweet would do fine. It has been a few years since I planted corn, so you will find some newer varieties, I'm sure. Welcome to the forum. There are lots of experienced gardeners on here that are glad to offer advice.

bernie5711

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hi So lucky!

Thanks for the reply.

Actually, I'm right on the line of 5a and 5b. I have actually talked to a few people, one at my local Agway dealer and one at a local seasonal produce stand and it's a little surprising how little they really know about the seeds or produce they are selling. You hear things like "well i know a lot of people buy this seed" or "I just get the corn from a local farmer, not sure exactly the type of corn". I've only met one person that actually has grown corn and he told me the type of corn but said "I didn't have any luck with it". Soooo, I figured it was time to go to the real experts and get some advise I could actually use.

I'm sure someone will come on and make a recommendation based on a succesful planting in my general area. I did do a little research and found something called Mirai sweet corn that sounds like a really good option, but it originated in IL and I'm just not sure how it would do here. It will probably take a couple of years to get past the rookie stuff, I guess. :)

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
:frow Welcome to the forum! :frow Glad you joined us! :frow

I suggest is for you to check with the Pennsylvania Extension Service. They should be in the phone book under county government They should have good information on what varieties and the timing that are best for your area. Sounds like you've tried the Farmer's Markets and roadside stands thing but I'd suggest trying them a little more. You just need to hit it lucky and tie up with one person that knows what they are doing and is willing to talk about it.

I'd suggest you look at an SE type corn. Those are sugar enhanced and are great for fresh eating and canning. I've had really good luck with Breeder's Choice from Burpee, but there are plenty of others. With you grandson, you might enjoy a bicolored variety where there are both white and yellow kernels on the same ear.

bernie5711

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome Ridgerunner. Good advise, I'll give it a try. I know what you mean about the corn color. My Grandson saw some that was actually red. I was told it stayed red even after cooking. He thought that was "awesome".

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ridgerunner's right on with whats mentioned so far.

Another thing to think about is not only carving pumpkins but giant pumpkins. There is quite a bit of info on growing the Atlantic Giant variety. Do a bit of research on them they are a blast to grow. My goal is to grow some that I have to carve with a chain saw and my daughter can sit in with the lid on after its carved! Its a lofty goal but she's 4 so I think I've still got a shot.

Give your Grandson something to brag about and show all his friends how cool is Grandpa is. Welcome aboard!!!!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome to TEG, Bernie.

You are likely to have a long enough season to have sweet corn out of your garden for a month, or more - an extended harvest.

It could be all of one type, sown at different times. Or, you can choose a different variety for each harvest: early, mid-season, & late. Seed for those 3 varieties could all go in the ground at once.

The idea of an SE corn is a good one if you want to avoid the risks of cross-pollination. If they cross, it won't really matter and that isn't true with all corn types.

There are varieties like Bodacious that seem to have broad use in the US. I have often grown it in my garden. It isn't remarkably early at 75 days and, as I say, you may want to plant it every 2 weeks in blocks of about 8' square so that it can pollinate itself well. I have grown a popular very early white called Spring Snow. It is rated as a 65 day corn. There is a bicolor like this: Quickie, at 64 days. Then you may want to choose an 80 day SE variety. Sowing all this seed at the same time still means that they should be grown in "blocks" so that good pollination allows for ears with plenty of kernels. Even though development is going on at different times, there is a chance of the varieties crossing. If they are different colors, that will just make things more interesting at the dinner table ;).

Another good reason to choose SE varieties is that many of them have good cold soil germination. Getting the earliest sweet corn from the garden may depend on that early germination.

Steve

bernie5711

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input guy's. This is just the kind of stuff I'm looking for. MuranoFarms - I live in Slippery Rock.

MuranoFarms

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
bernie5711 said:
Thanks for all the input guy's. This is just the kind of stuff I'm looking for. MuranoFarms - I live in Slippery Rock.
:D I'm in Boyers! Go to Zanella milling and ask for jackpot. We grow it, and my uncle in Cherry Valley grows it every year.

Oh....:welcome

Latest posts