Sweet Kumquat

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I got my sweet kumquat today. I am so happy. It already has a couple doz little fruits and is in a 3 gal pot. This weekend I will transfer it to a bigger pot. I really wanted a satsuma or a loquat. But the loquats were already in huge 25 gal containers and I don't think they would do good as container trees. The satsuma, well I figure that how many satsumas could a tree in a pot produce. I don't want to FIGHT my three kids and husband over a satsuma. But the kumquat nobody likes.... So it is all mine. Next month I want to get a gold fig tree.

I have been here at this house for a year gardening but haven't done much as far as fruit trees and ornamental. Mostly cause I hate to put that much work into something just to move across the country again. But I vow to LIVE here while I live here and so I have a tree.

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
obsessed said:
I got my sweet kumquat today. I am so happy. It already has a couple doz little fruits and is in a 3 gal pot. This weekend I will transfer it to a bigger pot. I really wanted a satsuma or a loquat. But the loquats were already in huge 25 gal containers and I don't think they would do good as container trees. The satsuma, well I figure that how many satsumas could a tree in a pot produce. I don't want to FIGHT my three kids and husband over a satsuma. But the kumquat nobody likes.... So it is all mine. Next month I want to get a gold fig tree.

I have been here at this house for a year gardening but haven't done much as far as fruit trees and ornamental. Mostly cause I hate to put that much work into something just to move across the country again. But I vow to LIVE here while I live here and so I have a tree.
A bit late to say GOOD for you!
Loquat are not citrus but are very tasty! In the spring I will have seed if you wish. They grow very fast, here at least.
Oh and makes for a great wine!

My DMIL has a Honeydew Tangerine tree for me. She is great!

Good luck with with your trees.
Joe

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
A kumquat tree sounds interesting, its the only citrus fruit that you could eat with the rind and all. I'm looking to get a few citrus trees as well, they make a nice addition to the garden or patio.

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
After I got my tree, I replanted it into a bigger pot with some mircle grow potting mix and then all the little fruit got burnt kind of. I am not sure what happened. What kind of mix do you use for trees in a container?

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sorry your tree burned ...I am trying really hard NOT to want another plant until my rustic faux sunroom area is finished ..not long I have to buy the pressure treated plywood and some more glass and I will be good to go ..this one does not have tarpitecture it is solid and well built so far! I am so proud! :)

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
obsessed said:
After I got my tree, I replanted it into a bigger pot with some mircle grow potting mix and then all the little fruit got burnt kind of. I am not sure what happened. What kind of mix do you use for trees in a container?
Oh so sorry to hear that!
Mer gro is ok for most plants but citrus need more of a sandy well drained soil, otherwise the roots rot and cause well you know the rest....
The fruit got burnt most likeley because the tree was grown in a shade house on a large citrus farm. It was treated just right when the fruit appeared they put it up for sale. Most trees with fruit on them when sold should be removed for the first year. They must get there feet set in the ground before supporting such draws as fruit.

I hope this helps a little!

Joe