Sweet pea shrub?

Todd Ziegler

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I am looking for information on a plant that my grandmother used to have and she called it a "sweet pea bush" it was a shrub and they called it a "sweet pea bush" because the blooms looked like a sweet pea bloom. I don't remember much about the way it looked other than it had what looked to me like hairy stems. I don't think they were thorns. I had found it in an old gurneys catalog but I have lost that catalog and I find myself looking for information again. There was some growing in Tipton County, IN a few years ago but when I returned to the houses the plants were gone. I do know that they would not stay put. It might grow a few years where you planted it but then it would show up in other areas and be gone from the original planting site. Any information would be great. As a reward I will send you some seeds from my collection, if I have what you want. I have 250 different varieties of garden seeds.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi Todd :frow

Could it be Caragana arborescens ? Wikipedia

It was once quite commonly planted with trees to form windbreaks. Our local extension service sold these plants and I have just noticed a few Siberian Pea shrubs and that they have begun to bloom.

Steve

Todd Ziegler

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
The plant I remember had a purple bloom. The pictures I looked at from the one you said all had yellow blooms. I have a place to start from now, at least. Thanks

Todd Ziegler

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Also the one I remember didn't get any taller than about 5 feet. So I don't think this is the same. Thanks for the reply though m

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Try looking for plants in the polygala family. Some of them are described as sweet pea shrubs.
(Polygala dalmaisiana, and P. fruiticosa look likely).

Maybe also Amorpha canescens, it's a purple flowering leguminous plant.

Latest posts