Sweet Potatoes

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Mine arrived about 2 weeks ago looking pretty sad.
Over 3 evenings I got them all in and watered.
Looked real poor for the 1st week but now they perked up and it doesn't look like I lost any.

THANX RICH

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I love growing sweet potatoes!!! they are so easy and so yummy! I have pots and bags and buckets of them everywhere!. I just put them in anything I can dump at the end of the growing season so I don't have to dig them up and they go crazy!! the vines are attractive also and yes you can just take a piece of vine and plant it and it will produce more potatoes!! MAGIC!! :thumbsup

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love growing sweet potatoes!!! they are so easy and so yummy! I have pots and bags and buckets of them everywhere!. I just put them in anything I can dump at the end of the growing season so I don't have to dig them up and they go crazy!! the vines are attractive also and yes you can just take a piece of vine and plant it and it will produce more potatoes!! MAGIC!! :thumbsup
Girl, you put a whole 'nother meaning to BAG LADY!! :gig

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:yuckyuck:ya:love:yuckyuck Gotta love those bags! a neighbor came over to see if I had any extra squash and said she wished she had room for a garden.
i introduced her to the bags gavee her a few and I am hoping she'll grow some o h er own veggies later. not that I mind sharing!:love

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tell me about getting starts from the vine. Please.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tell me about getting starts from the vine. Please.
Seedcorn, do you mean how to start a sweet potato? Just drop a sweet potato in half a jar of water. Change the water every couple of days. Roots will grow on the bottom of the sweet potato and sprouts will grow out of the top. The sprouts will grow into vines. Clip the vines into 8"-10" pieces and stick into a jar of water. They will grow roots, put them in the ground and they will promptly keel over and look dead. After the sweet potato vine funeral, keep watering them and they will resurrect themselves and grow like a mad scientist vine bent on over taking the world. ;)

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks. Will try. Last 2 years had no luck with sweet potatoe in water. Just rots

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I dont put my potato in water just forget a couple in the basement when they start to grow I pull of the slips and plant them :idunno
Im too impatient to wait for roots:barnie

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks. Will try. Last 2 years had no luck with sweet potatoe in water. Just rots
Where do you put the jar? And do you change the water every other day? If it is too cool, that might contribute to the rotting, if so, put the jar on top of the refrigerator.

Latest posts