Sweet Wild Syringa

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
There's a documentary on YouTube called Wild Horse Wild Ride about the Extreme Mustang Makeover event in Dallas Texas, back in, I think, 2012.

They follow people who get a mustang and have 100 days to train it for the competition.
I'm amazed at some of these peoples skill. Not everyone they show use good methods and it's a little cringy at some points, but they all do achieve a working relationship with their horses.

I am not that uber confident, and I am not willing to get hurt so it will take me a year or so to get to that place with Syringa.

But it's a good watch if you have the time.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have been able to brush her a bit, but she doesn't really relax. Her mane will be cut off at some point because it's mostly dreadlocks and would be a real major project to try and salvage. I also have not attempted brushing her tail out. Right now I'm working on being able to walk behind her without too much agitation on her part.
Based on the photos, the mane and tail do not seem to be too bad. I have brushed out MUCH WORSE maines and tails completely messed up with cocleburrs, small branches, manure, etc. from 32 ferral horses straight from the open range lands in Montana to UCD. I first start to hose in a spray at the bottom of the front legs, then when the horse accepts that, move up the legs slowly to the chest followed up the neck ( do NOT spray the head ) then slowly onto the back and hind quarters and back legs. This could take a couple days depending on the horse. At the same time get the horse used to being brushed on it's neck. Then there are shampoos that are designed to detangle manes and tails. Slowly start to slowly detangle the main with a hair comb ( you can use one made for humans). I have done this on some horses in one day others could take a week or more. Have fun !

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thank you Bob. I actually did get her mane untangled today, and you're right, it wasn't too bad, nor as grueling a task as I anticipated. Since she ties quiet I used her tie time to get her used to being brushed and rubbed all over her body. I stood at her mane and starting at the withers started finger combing and working the rats nests out by hand. She actually seemed to enjoy the sensation and lowered her head and half closed her eyes.

After I got them out I sprayed some detangler on a stiff body brush and worked that through her mane. It looks nice, I'm glad I didn't cut it after all. :)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
She is a pretty girl. Glad you were able to untangle her mane and didn't have to cut it off. I unwind the twisted dread locks on my horses tails, their manes stay fairly straight. Her mane and tail looks thick and luxurious.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Instead of pampering this filly like this,

you could be training her for some heavy work.

But first, you will have to kill a toad: The Toadmen.

Le_laboureur_%28The_Ploughman%29.jpg

Steve ;)

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's been brutally hot these past few days and the horse corrals are super dusty. So this evening I set a sprinkler near them and turned it on high to help settle the dust a bit.
Luke and Huckleberry weren't much impressed, but Syringa backed herself up to it and cooled off. She was really enjoying it. I thought it was pretty cute of her. :)

20180809_173047.jpg