symbols?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ojibwe?

There was a classic study on societal instability/stability done with the Ojibwe about 50 years ago, I'd guess. It showed that in those families where culture, things like heritage and traditional institutions, were most important -- those families (and individuals) had the least problems with instability.

Yes, it is difficult to feel much of anything if there is a sense of being an alien to your past, your family and those around you.

Loyalty has something to do with love.

Steve

jojo54

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
digitS' said:
I am so tempted to drift off into family history, conjecture and myth.

Restraining myself here despite my pride in Native American family . . .

The code I'm talking about has to do with "web code." TEG is very tolerant of copying and pasting. For example, I don't have a degree symbol on my keyboard. I actually keep it on a yellow sticky on my desktop and can copy and paste it here to let you know that it was 15F when I got up this morning.

I don't have it on a key but I can use "Alt + 248" as a keyboard shortcut: 15 - see!?

Or, I've just learned that I can use a Number Code. I'll space this out so that it doesn't just make a degree sign: & # 1 7 6 ; If I put those together: Hey!

Now, since TEG is so tolerant of copying and pasting things like degree signs, I'm not sure how much it helps to know this and if one should bother to keep a list of keyboard shortcut code or number code handy . . . I'm still wondering about that.

♪ ♫ ☺ ☼ ☻ ♪ ♫

Steve 2
Steve that is too neat! How do you find out about such codes? I've never made a degree symbol until now. I'm not getting the Number Code thing but I'm wondering if there is a list somewhere that gives you symbols. I've often wondered about accent marks in foreign spellings as well.

jojo54

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
OldGuy43 said:
jojo54 said:
Steve that is too neat! How do you find out about such codes? I've never made a degree symbol until now. I'm not getting the Number Code thing but I'm wondering if there is a list somewhere that gives you symbols. I've often wondered about accent marks in foreign spellings as well.
Right here:
http://www.ascii-code.com/
Thanks! :ep there is SOOO MUCH about computers I don't know!!!

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Ojibwe?

There was a classic study on societal instability/stability done with the Ojibwe about 50 years ago, I'd guess. It showed that in those families where culture, things like heritage and traditional institutions, were most important -- those families (and individuals) had the least problems with instability.

Yes, it is difficult to feel much of anything if there is a sense of being an alien to your past, your family and those around you.

Loyalty has something to do with love.

Steve
I think the Marine Corps decided that they over-rule any studies done 50 years ago... he has his moments... ;)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here are some things from Wikipedia.

Words using diacritic marks just copied & pasted: anim, expos, lam, mat, re, re, pt, piqu, ros, souffl, resum, and sak :p.

The Slovak alphabet uses the acute ( ĺ ŕ), caron (č ď ľ ň ť ), umlaut () and circumflex accent ().

Symbol font (Times): α β

Dingbats: ☎ ✘ ★ ♥

TEG is wonderfully tolerant!

Here is using pasting first then using the HTML number code for the same symbol:

☕ ☕
☘ ☘
☯ ☯
♞ ♞

1lg140tornado2.gif

______ digitS'

gardentoad

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
That looks like a EF 5 , what a storm you kicked up

Don looking out from my fraidy hole

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
OldGuy43 said:
jojo54 said:
Right here:
http://www.ascii-code.com/
Guess I should have mentioned that, if you're using Windows you have another source for the same information and more right on your computer. Click <START> <RUN> and type "charmap" without the quotes. Press <ENTER>. Select the character you want. (Note: some fonts have different characters, notably WINGDINGS and WEBDINGS.) Click <SELECT>, <COPY>, and paste the character into your document. You can select and copy multiple characters all at once, but you'll have to add any additional spaces between them after pasting.
:caf

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ά ♪ ♫ ♫ ♪ Ω

So, OG, those things have been just sitting there waiting for me to find them?

I did know that I had symbols in the word processor but "Charmap?" Windows, eh? That Bill Gates was always giving us about 6 ways to move the car. I'd usually end up pushing it while reaching thru the open window with one hand on the steering wheel.

A prize for you, Ѽ !

Steve :)

Latest posts