Take that you evil slugs!

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:weee

I have tried the beer traps, I tried slug bait, I tried picking them, I tried salt, I tried DE with limited success, but I am the only person in this arid climate with continuing slug issues. After years of having all my tender greens eaten, I finally found something that works!

:tools

This year they had already started eating my bok pak choy down to nothing and DE wasn't helping much when I got inspired. I borrowed some crushed oyster shell from the ducks and put it around my bok pak choy. 2 days later, the plants are showing a lot of new growth and there are NO MORE CHUNKS OUT OF THE LEAVES!

woo hoo!!

A $50 bag was around $16 and I have to have it on hand for the birds anyway so this is fantastic.

Now, are there any plants that wont like the extra dose of calcium? I know the tomatoes will like it but I wasn't sure about other stuff.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yep, i've been recommending crushed eggshells to be used where you want an area without slugs. I think its the best method out there against slugs but i haven't tried the copper method yet.
I'm glad this worked for you wifezilla! ;)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wife', I think you may be onto something!

Probably, all plants need calcium and it isn't going to just "rush" into the plants - not when it starts out as a shell. Most things get kind of depleted in calcium that they are able to draw up from the roots, when they are really growing fast, during hot weather.

Oyster shells may have magnesium, also - right? Magnesium is a part of chlorophyll. I'm not sure if your soil is deficient in either of these minerals but I can't remember any serious issue on "excess" for plants. Within reason, I'm sure . . .

Mulch! Sounds kind of attractive, too ;).

Steve

ohiofarmgirl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
thats BRILLIANT!

tomorrow i'm gonna run right out and sprinkle some shells from my hens where i'll be planting my 'maters.. my hens can scratch around until i plant and any extra can get worked into the soil.

THANKS!
ps dont those ducks of yours grab up the free slugs??