taking advantage of the season...cranberries and persimmons

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I can not even tell you the score I was able to get on both Cali persimmons and Washington coastal cranberries!

I think you could combine persimon with cranberries and not have one over run the other?

what do you think ..a cold relish? ...a tart? ...any ideas for this bounty?

btw if you have a Korean market near by they are having a great persimmon harvest this year and the taste is exquisite ...we have not had great ones the past few years so I am buying huge bags for $5 and while we are enjoying them fresh daily ..I also would like to experiment with some recipes since they are so inexpensive and bountiful!

anyone on this board grow cranberries I wonder? or persimons ..I have a very delayed persimon tree that has one tiny sad branch 4 inches long

what are you taking advantage of now that you did not grow yourself?

I can not imagine growning cranberries and take a trip to the coast every fall to buy huge bags of the fresh berries ..for very very cheap!

cranberry persimmon fudge?

add some persimmon to my hot sauce recipe?

persimmon lassi or smoothie?

cranberry/persimmon frozen relish? with a tiny bit of horseradish for bite

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
persimmon chocolate habenero sauce

ok this is to die for local but not home grown sadly! (maybe next year my persimmon tree will have fruits!)

9 chocolate habenero peppers
3 ripe persimmons
1/2 cup cider vinegar
2 T brown sugar
3 allspice berries ground fine
all in the blender until smooth take outside to open the blender so you do not get gassed by the hot peppers ...

bottle up and use as you would any hot sauce! very good!

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I wonder if I put this together I could freeze before baking then bake on Thanksgiving...

anyone want to advise?
http://projects.washingtonpost.com/recipes/2007/12/19/persimmon-tarte-tatin/

I really think I should make this but want to add fresh grated ginger to it

if the prices stay this low for persimmons it is worth it to buy them now ..I can not think of a tastier fruit to try some recipes with!

while i wait and wait and wait for my tree to produce

I was warned this is not an idea growing place for a persimmon ..but a woman can hope!

I am going to make cranberry cordial ...dry a bag and make steamed juice jelly out of another ..the rest we can consume as is

both of us love to eat them frozen with no adornments :)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I wouldn't freeze anything with raw fruit and expect it to be all yummy when baked later. Is the filling cooked at least?! I think if the filling is cooked or blanched at least once, then put together you should be able to take it out of the freezer and get a nice fresh desert come thanksgiving.

I am premaking a peach cobbler to freeze and pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving this weekend. How exciting!! This fall has flown by and I haven't had time to get all my recipes together for my favorite food and family holiday ever!!!

My mom gave me the honors of Thanksgiving when I was 27... now our family has gotten so HUGE I'm going to be feeding 9 people (still waiting on RSVPs from 3 more people). And I LOVE to cook. So I'm like you, and trying to find something orginal and new to serve, with something I was luck enough to grow.

Good luck... and that recipe looks YUM. (I've never had a persimmon though?!)

Latest posts