taking germophobia to a whole new level

Durgan

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Germs are everywhere and always have been. The best protection is a good immune system, which is often a matter of fate. We do have a bit of control, but probably very little by our practices and life style.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
All of the above ... the more one is exposed to pathogens, the more our own immune system develops antbodies against them. Hmmm ...Overprotective parents have the most sickly children. Those people that use the most disenfectants have the largest doctor bills.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
It seems paranoid to me.
Anyway, I always thought a person caught colds and flu as much by touching your eyes and nose as inhaling germs. Of course I guess that's what all those little travel size bottles of hand sanitizer are supposed to be for.

We don't get sick too often around here. But I think we invented the "three second rule" too! :D

I seem to remember something that was posted here this past year (?) about gardeners having strong immune systems from all the contact with soil. Do you guys remember that?

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i remember reading something about a year ago, not on here, about how kids that were allowed to play in the dirt or to eat it had a more healthy system than those that lived a sterilized lifestyle. :p so, let your kids eat those 'mud pies' if they try! if i had kids i would rather see them come in the house all grubby after playing in the dirt, because then i know they were doing something other than sitting in front of a TV or computer! i'd just hope they'd be planting vegetables and not being a 'vegetable'!

i stopped using those bleach wipes a few years ago after breaking out in blisters from constantly using them to clean my house. after reading over the label i noticed something that the commercials never seem to show the people doing with them, they never put on gloves to use them! i started using peroxide to do most of my cleaning from that point onwards since it didn't bother my skin and after all, it is much more beneficial since it isn't toxic to the touch or smell.

i also had been suffering from what i was told by 2 doctors and 3 nurse practitioners that i had allergies to hay, cut grass, dust and mold. but they never bothered to test me since i seemed to know my triggers even though i kept asking. they all gave me prescriptions for pills and after years of taking stuff to combat the 'allergies' i found it never really relieved any of my problems and instead gave me more side affects i didn't like. so i stopped taking them and instead i started taking vitamin C! i know a lot of stuff i've seen says now that it is all hype and the only thing it is really good for is to treat Scurvy, but it seems to do the trick for me the past 2 years. i don't feel like i'm congested all year round and i don't feel as drowsy all day like i used to. if i haven't taken it for a few days or a couple weeks i may start to feel a sore throat when certain plants have a high pollen count (ragweed was rough this year).

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lysol spray does the same thing....if you can stand the stuff, which I can't. I'd druther have the germs. :lol:

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh my word. That is so weird, i dont even know what to say. What about all the bacteria that coexist with us in and on our bodies...and what happens if that stuff gets down in your intestines and kills off your intestinal flora...people are bizarre.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
oooh, i didn't give that a thought. what if your taking probiotics? will that affect the use of those? this 'spray' does sound very scary and i think it's trying to play on peoples fears too much. i', just curious how soon the FDA or what other group will come swooping down to get it off the shelves and how quickly it will be done. they probably get away with calling it a 'supplement' so it didn't have to be tested and proven scientifically before it got on the shelves.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I agree that kids who are allowed to play in the dirt and get good and grubby are healthier for the rest of their lives than kids who are coddled and kept inside.
I would also add that frequent contact with animals can keep your immune system tuned up.

Latest posts