Taking Lambs To Slaughter

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I might have been born in the dark, but wasn't last night. :) I had no plans what so ever of purchasing an animal to raise for meat without knowing if I liked it or not. But thanks for reminding me to look before I sheep, uh I mean leap. Oh, deer meat is one of our favorites. YUM! Alligator is also good as is goat, elk & antelope.

you'll be fine then. and yes, i don't assume people are going without thinking but in my days i've seen some rather tremendously good people make silly blunders on impulse and i also know some people without a lick of common sense.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
You were the first person I thought of to get some from! It's local, home raised and I'd rather help a neighbor than some grocery store.

I have some in the freezer right now. AND you could come for a visit! We are 7 1/2 miles off I-20, just past Lindale, exit Highway 110

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
have you had venison or other game animals besides beef, pork, chicken, turkey, duck? it is stronger tasting, you can get hints of it in a gyros or go try it at a Greek restaurant before going through the expense of buying and raising the animals. i'm good with lamb, Mom won't have it.

It's likely you were eating a wool breed lamb. I've tried both and the hair sheep taste vastly different, especially when raised on grass only. The wool breed required a lot of garlic to mask the strong flavor whereas the hair sheep didn't have any strong flavor....very tender and sweet.

If I had only ever tried woolly sheep, I'd likely have never wanted lamb again...not a flavor I'd yearn for.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Beekissed Did not know that about lamb. Just assumed difference between lamb and mutton. So what is Australian lamb?

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Beekissed Did not know that about lamb. Just assumed difference between lamb and mutton. So what is Australian lamb?

Basically they are just using that definition as a marketing gimmick, but it's just grass fed and finished lamb of any breed of sheep, but mostly woolly breeds.

Difference between hair and wool taste:

Though many people taste no difference between meat from hair sheep versus meat from wool sheep, McCrea said hair sheep meat can appeal to people who don’t normally eat lamb from wool sheep. Sheep with wool produce a wax called lanolin, which adds a distinct odor and taste to the lamb meat. McCrea said hair sheep meat doesn’t have that “greasy” quality.

And he's right about that....the grain finished wool breed I ate was so incredibly greasy and rank tasting compared to the lean and clean flavor of the grass finished hair sheep.

In most countries, as in America, it's considered a lamb when under a year old, after that it's mutton.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's likely you were eating a wool breed lamb. I've tried both and the hair sheep taste vastly different, especially when raised on grass only. The wool breed required a lot of garlic to mask the strong flavor whereas the hair sheep didn't have any strong flavor....very tender and sweet.

If I had only ever tried woolly sheep, I'd likely have never wanted lamb again...not a flavor I'd yearn for.

if it is well trimmed of fat (the same with venison) i don't mind it at all. it is just different. :)

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here is a tip for those that have issues in the taste of lamb /mutton .... serve the meat sizzling hot on a sizzling HOT steel plate. Don't be surprized if they ask for seconds or even thirds. :drool

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
We never had lamb growing up because my mom didn't like the gamey taste. I've never bought any but have had it at restaurants. Sometimes it tastes gamey and sometimes it doesn't. I was at a nice restaurant once and told the waiter my experiences. He was a little snobbish and told me there was a difference in taste between lamb and mutton and assured me I would love their lamb. He was right. It was delicious and not gamey at all. It's interesting that at places where I loved it, they have all been italian restaurants.

Mary

Latest posts