Talk about a whopping ornamental potato vine tuber

seedcrazy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I pulled this puny tater from my purple ornamental vine that was in a pot and thought, hmm, probably won't make it through winter but I'll keep it. I remembered the green potato vine that was in another pot (taken a month or so ago) that was taking over

kdlpaq.jpg

I went to pull this one out and about croaked when I saw the size, check it out (I think I can get it to overwinter without drying up LOL)

30hvm1y.jpg

this will give you an idea (its 5 3/4th pounds) but you can see from my Kohler shovel the real size of it in comparison

6sdt9l.jpg

I think several times the potato has actually split and kept growing. LOL

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow, I've never seen one like that! Your planting in the first pic is very pretty. I love how the sweet potato vines just spill out and fill in. They really look nice.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Whoa! That's enormous! I cleaned out some container plantings and was surprised to find tubers growing in them, I didn't know they produced, but nothing even remotely close to the size of yours! That's a weapon!

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That's a Huge Sweet Potato !! :ep

You should take it to the fair, if the season isn't over yet.
I have yet to pick my sweet potatoes.

seedcrazy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Well these are ornamental, someone said you can eat them but they don't taste good. I did get a box of sweet potatoes from my pot of slips from a tater sprouting on my counter that I planted earlier this year but these ornamental vines for my flower beds are easy to start from a cutting, stick in water, it roots, I plant in a pot and it sits on my windowseal through winter and then I plant them. Not sure how this one got steroids. LOL Hopefuly though this one won't dry up over winter and I can just plant the potato about March and get it growing to take slips off of. Not sure what kind of container I'll have to have to start it though and it sure won't sit on the ledge of my kitchen window. LOL

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
catjac1975 said:
WHy not plant an edible variety next year. They are beautiful just not the chartreuse color.
Wow....Super-Tater....I have the tri-colored Sweet Potato Vines and they have NEVER produced anything near that size. Congrats.!!!!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hahaha... I wish I saw this earlier, I just posted about the same thing.

Check out these tubers:

5842_sweet_potatoes.jpg

Also got a 3 gallon bucket full of small ones.

I looked online, and I found a blog where a lady picked a bunch and tried to eat several of them. A few weren't very good, but a couple varieties she picked and ate she said were good and worth eating. Better then what she read online. The variety I have she gave a thumbs up. Long as you eat the smaller ones she said they have good texture.

Latest posts