Tasty meals using fresh vegetables plus lurking left-overs! Add yours!

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
omg you know you set me off on what we can call in public ;) a creative high??? LOL (but in private ... )

anyway I used the Hot smoked duck ham recipe in the book Charcuterie by Michael Ruhlman

I kept the quantities the same of but did change the seasonings a bit

I have a duck a pullet and a wild goose .the breasts are ready to go and the rest of the bird be roasted with onions until golden brown ..and will become a really nice cream of porcini soup :)

the brine was
2 quarts water
3/4 cups kosher salt
4 tsp pink salt (I cut this in half for my own use I dont care that the meat look pink pink)
(maple syrup and sugar were included here but I changed that to the folowing)
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup honey
then I added the following seasonings
1 tsp of high quality pure maple flavor
1 big fat vanilla bean split
1 big sprig of dried sage
1 big sprig of rosemary
3 bay leaves

vanilla sage and rosemary with the hint o maple is filling my house right now ..I would use this for a air freshener it smells wonderful!!! I am flirting with putting some lemon rind in there but am afraid I will ruin what seems to be perfection right now

nah leave it alone!

and I appreciate the direction it really helps beat the blues to have some focus other than eating!!! ok so I am cooking but it is one or the other for me ..I live in a loop ...garden cook eat garden cook eat ..when I can not garden it puts me out of kilter and I just cook and eat!!! LOL!!!

I refuse to be alone in this!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
PunkinPeep said:
When it comes to after the holidays, don't forget to save all those ham bones and turkey carcasses and what have you to boil them down for stock or soup base. We got someone's leftover honey bee ham and boiled it down for a fantastic base for a very simple split pea soup. The sweetness and saltiness in the ham were pretty much enough seasoning on their own - though i did add a little.
I saved the bones from the smoked turkey my GPa brought to Thanksgiving and made it into stock just like I do for chickens, but when I put it into the fridge to let the fat solidify, the whole thing turned to gelatin! I usually do chickens raw--is it because the bones had already been cooked? It smelled good, but I tossed it out because it grossed me out to look at it!!

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
HiDelight! That brine sounds yummy! :drool

I have some smoked duck in my freezer I keep forgetting about. I should do something with it. However, I'm not a huge fan of goat cheese . . . any other ideas out there for using smoked duck?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
TURKEY HASH (This makes enough for a large crockpot)
Leftovers needed
turkey meat--NO BONES, please--a small bowl is enough
turkey gravy--a large bowl is best
leftover mashed potatoes (optional)
Fresh ingrediants needed
4 large onions
2 pounds of carrots
a whole stalk of celery
season to taste

Clean celery and cut into bite-sized pieces. Cut ends of carrots off, shave skins, and cut into bite-sized pieces. Cut onions into bite-sized pieces. Add ALL ingrediants to crock pot and mix. Cook on low for 4-6 hours. Be careful NOT to fill to the brim, since the vegetables will soften and add liquid, and it can overflow. (That makes a mess that you didn't intend.) Serve with brown and serve rolls (or your favorite bread) or corn muffins.
*Sometimes I add other vegetables, too, like peas.
**Just made this last night. I portioned off the leftovers from THIS meal, and froze them, to use later in pot pies.

Latest posts