Teeny garlic

Hencackle

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I plant garlic in the Fall also. Sometimes I plant a few cloves in the Spring, from the garlic that started to sprout in my pantry, but it is always smaller than Fall planted garlic.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've gotten garlics like that -- smallish and just one homogeneous clove, not subdivided -- when my soil has been insufficiently amended (too compacted clayey, and not fertile enough). So that is another possibility to consider?

They're still perfectly good eating though :)

Pat

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
From what I have read, they sometimes look like that if they are under stress, too dry or not enough nutrients. I am planting it in the fall but this is the first time.

GPN

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
What color is the bloom? I have (i think) purple globe allium (garlic) that is about that size this year. I have bulblets to plant this fall, and still have some heads we have to find under the daylillies and get moved. Garlic is great when you have it! GPN

ETA: I researched the garlic I have, I am more than conviced I have elephant garlic rather than purple globe allium, due to the flower head that I remember on our plants this year. I wished I took pictures

PotterWatch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I pulled a few more the other day. Some of them were the same as those first couple, just one big clove and others were fully formed but still a little small. The ones I have pulled so far have all been ones that I planted under my young plum tree. They probably got less water and more sun than the ones I planted in with my tomatoes which are still growing and just barely starting to get dry leaves. I think the little ones were that way due to a combination of how big the cloves I planted were and how much water they got. I'm still very happy to have garlic to use!

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I know they say to plant your biggest cloves for bigger heads in the following year. What would happen if you planted large cloves from a single head like that? Would they produce a large head next year or would you get a lot of the same next year?????