TEG Is GREEN.... really GREEN and Environment Friendly

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
Ive got some great news Id like to pass along to the TEG community!

As many of you know, we work really hard at keeping this site humming along with as few problems as possible. Were on some of the best server hardware, software, and infrastructure in the industry.

Well, heres the exciting news: Not only is TEG hosted on the best systems, but now were totally GREEN!!! Heres how it works: Each of our servers are backed by a commitment to offset the total carbon-footprint of the system by at least 110 percent! The carbon-offsetting goals are achieved through large-scale reforestation campaigns operated by American Forests (www.americanforests.org).

To ensure a truly climate-positive approach, the server company calculates its reforestation commitment not only on the energy consumption of the host servers, but on its entire server infrastructure. That includes compensating for all core routing and switching equipment, for cooling and redundant power operations, and for an extensive back-LAN used for backups and redundancy.

In addition to the above items, this new Green Initiative also outlines commitments to responsible recycling of hardware at end of life. Our hosting company recycles all recyclable components and meets or exceeds environmental standards for the disposal of all non-recyclable hazardous components.

Supporting TEG supports the environment... how cool is that?

Texas Fluffy Feet

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I am very computer stupid Nifty so I had to read that twice before half of it came across as english to me. I still don't quite understand how it all works, but none- the- less I get that this is a very good thing! I know that just my home pc uses a ton of power so I can imagine that whatever runs the whole networks and such must really suck some juice!

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
No worries!

Bottom line, the server company that hosts our servers is trying to be economically responsible and one way they are doing that is by providing resources to reforestation projects.

More trees is always better!

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That IS cool. I'm in full support of that.

The recycling of old equipment is especially important to me. I've read about what typically happens with old electronics and it is a very sad story.

aquarose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Absolutely wonderful. As if I didn't have enough reason to hang out on TEG. It would be great if TEG could be even more green and find some way to encourage all members to use green gardening practices, such as organic pest and weed controls and fertilizing.

calee

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
ITA with DrakeMaiden.

Y'all rock for searching out a company with good values to work with. Thank you!

chickenannie

Leafing Out
Reaction score
That's great!

On a related note, can we advocate that this site become an Organic one? Meaning, if folks are going to advocate in the threads the use of herbicides, pesticides, insecticides, etc., is it really a Green and Eco-Friendly site? I'm sorry, I know I'm ranting again, I just don't believe in "responsible use of chemicals in gardening" and I guess I just got tired of hearing people tell me to use "just a LITTLE Round-Up". We need to become stewards of the soil in all its facets.

Nifty, this is not in ANY way directed at this wonderful site you've set up and the wonderful GREEN, ECO-FRIENDLY way you've made it happen.

Latest posts