TEG registered to . . . sit tight?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Have you ever wondered about who might be registered to TEG?

Do a User List search using a first letter like "B" - add an "*" to it.

"B*" You will see a list of all the people who have registered using a B-username.

Notice how many have posted exactly "0" . . . Nothing! It must be very close to 50% of those who register!

Are there people who are reading this who have never asked a question, shared a tip, commented in any way, shape or form? Probably! Look, if you want an "Easy Garden" -- Get 2 It!

Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I guess some folks are just lurkers by nature. Also, some forums--not this one--seem kind of intimidating. A newbie may feel scared to ask a "dumb" question, or make a comment for fear he will be pounced on and ridiculed. I have seen forums where the most active posters don't want any other views but their own.

So I agree---all you non-posting members out there: this is a friendly place. "Dumb" questions welcome here, if you are sincere. And differing opinions help us think outside our own self-imposed boxes.:cool:

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
digitS, if you remember I joined during the week of "THE GREAT BYC DOWNTIME" last spring and promptly forgot about this site until much later. Perhaps some of the BYC or BYH users did the same? Check those registration dates when you check the post numbers.

Love, Smart Red

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Linn B, I just took the 1st page of a random letter and did some counting. First off, not one registered anywhere near your date of 1/10/2012.

I didn't really find anything too earth shattering but the count did confirm what I said about "It must be very close to 50%" who never, ever post. In fact, out of the 50 names on that page, 24 never posted!

It seemed that many of the 24 were in the spring and it did break that way: 9 spring, 5 summer, 5 fall, & 5 winter. By the way, 4 of the 5 winter registrations were in the first weeks of March.

Steve

edited to give credit to my helper:
abacus.gif

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wellp, if it is anything like me and registering for sites, even like twitter and klout, I wind up signing up, have to use a variation of my name, some requirement for a capital letter or something, then making a password, a certain number of minimum letter, upp er case, symbols, write it down on some piece of scrap paper, clean my desk off...

Next thing ya know, what was my name on twitter? Oh yea...
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, what did i have to make for a password???

I was just reading an article in wired magazine about a russian bazillionaire computer security company owner. He wants to make computers even more secure by partitioning it into sections or blocks of countries and having to use a digital passport to cross into another block. Ooooooph!

I suppose he is being realistic.

but jeesh, if this was a neanderthal world, even passwords would not be needed. They have passwords because of bad guys. Looks to me like the bad guys have us beaten! it is a sad spy vs spy world. Moments of melancholy happen when i think of the magnitude humanity has allowed bad guys to grow into.

Can't leave windows down on a car on a hot day in a parking lot because of bad guys, so we get into the car and sweat...
Have to have keys because of bad guys
locks, safes

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I actually think that how "relaxed" the environment is here is the key to my continued interest. I have a tendency to stop going to different sites, or change hobbies, after a year or so... Ask my hubby about the hobby-switching i've done...knitting to glass/pottery mosaics to hand-crafted twig furniture (NOT a good hobby for me, you actually have to measure...) to refinishing to painting to...um, lotsa things! But i've alway been a gardener, and i've always been a bird-watcher. Joined a local bird forum for sightings, etc...not nearly so friendly or relaxed, and after one post, i've never postd again! It wasnt that anyone was..."mean" per se, just not welcoming in any way, and they really discourage social "chatter" - too serious, maybe? I dunno, definitely not the inviting atmosphere here. I visit the bird forum on occasion still, but i visit TEG almost every day! And i love that you never know what you may find...links to a cool article, tips on greenhouse construction, all kindsa great gardening stuff, plus pets, kids, grandkids, somebody's vacation, somebody's work...IT'S ALL GOOD!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Isn't that nice . . ? But Heather, we all have bad days. It would be best if we didn't "mouth off" on the internet on those days but there's a risk of it.

I'd like to always be welcoming but often, the first thing a new person has to say is something like, "That looks great." Kind of an attempt to be positive and, of course, not offend anyone. How would I respond to a post like that? Seems like whatever direct response there is to a simple statement like that could be taken as dismissive or sarcastic :/.

Then, you can have someone on the 1st post say something like, "I've searched everywhere on the internet for the answer to this question . . . . . . . " Yikes! That's probably waaay over my head! I am likely to just want to duck and run to cover :(. Not very welcoming to do that but trying to to come up with something but not knowing the answer is just a good way to waste someone's time. Prattling on might just make someone mad!

Then there are the posts that may well just be from spammers. Those posts are too frequent but they really shouldn't stop me from risking a few words to someone who has posted.

Like Marshall, I've signed up for things and promptly forgotten everything I type in on that 1st visit. These days, I've got hardcopies of passwords & such. It was either do that or use the same passwords everywhere. I was told many times that was a bad idea before it occurred to me that these people telling me that, were NOT joking!

I signed up for a couple things and realized that I didn't really need to. "Thinkexist" was one of those. If you search very long on that quotation site, they will asked you to register. So, you register and look at 3 more quotes and you are done . . . Who cares!? I've never signed in again once! If I can't find who-said-what before Thinkexist interrupts my search, I will just jump to another quotation site :p.

(Believe it or not, I was just doing something like that trying to remember what it was TS Eliot had to say about garden plants :rolleyes:.)

Steve

desertcat

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I haven't posted much in the last couple of years... but check in several times a week. It's always nice to come see what's going on in the lives and gardens of others. I've had too many life changes for my comfort and with 2 summers without rain, I tend to get a tad depressed. TEG gives me hope that someday things will get back on track and it will rain in the SUMMER when I'm trying to grow things!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is always nice to see you here, DesertCat!

I think we all know that more than likely, we will have bad seasons in amongst the good.

There's still the garden - in our mind's eye :)!

Steve

Latest posts