Tell me about sedums

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
DD, who lives on the other side of the state, brought me a potted plant for Mother's Day. Got around to looking it up and I discover it's a sedum, something yellow, I Think it's a creeper.
I was surprised that there were 3 plants instead of 1. They are all in my front flower beds, separated so that they Can spread, if they, indeed, will.
Who grows sedums? Give me a Sedum Primer, please. Thanks! :hugs

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i'm not familiar with any yellow kinds. we have a red sedum which is low growing and is mostly ignored until it gets full of weeds at which point we have to dig it up and replant after weeding. otherwise i spend too much time trying to get all the grasses out of there one grass root at a time, which doesn't work well when you're trying to track it down through and under the weed barrier fabric which is no longer really functional at all... the deer ate a lot of it in one patch last winter but looking at that patch now you'd not think anything happened to it at all.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
DD, who lives on the other side of the state, brought me a potted plant for Mother's Day. Got around to looking it up and I discover it's a sedum, something yellow, I Think it's a creeper.
I was surprised that there were 3 plants instead of 1. They are all in my front flower beds, separated so that they Can spread, if they, indeed, will.
Who grows sedums? Give me a Sedum Primer, please. Thanks! :hugs
When I moved into my house 40 plus years ago I found 1 lonely sedum. I have since intentionally spread it everywhere, It is lovely for 2-3 weeks a year. It speads a lot, but if it gets too thick I yank out a handful and put it somewhere else to grow. It helps to keep weed down, and helps keep the soil moist. I know there are many sedum cultivars.. I have bought some lovely ones that did not live forever like the old fashioned kind.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
What are the old fashioned kind?
Google yellow sedum in photos and you will see all of the new hybrids as opposed to the one Iposted.
953128c14984c3ed3390e9510c985df8.jpg

henless

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I bought a Delosperma Cooperi (ice plant) today at Walmart for 99 cents.

Delosperma - ice plant.jpg

It's supposed to be a perennial and hardy in zones 5-9. I've got it in a pot & a hanging basket. It gets 3-6 inches tall and can spread up to 2 feet.

I have another sedum that I have had for years. I do nothing to it except water it every once in a while. The flowers on it are a light pink.

002.JPG

There are so many different kinds of sedum.

henless

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Those look like what we call "ole timey" petunias. They reseed & come back more & more every year. I've seen them in colors of white, pinks & purples. So pretty!