Tell me everything you know about...

AmyRey

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
... cottonwood trees. :D

Hubby brought some interesting looking pod-like things home and they've opened, spewing forth these fluffy, flaky looking seeds.

We've determined them to be seed pods of a cottonwood tree and would like to know if they'd be suitable to cultivate for shade around our in-the-works new home.

What are the shade qualities like? Growth rates? Any nuisance factors?

Please and thank you. :cool:

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I like cottonwood trees. Here, they are fast-growing and somewhat invasive but not as bad as a hackberry. The worst of the cottonwoods are the little fluff-ball things floating in the air. They (the fluff-balls) can be nightmare if you have a pool. Since they grow fast it's not long before you have a decent shade tree. They usually grow more upright then spread-out.

That's about all I can tell you about them. The tree may be different for different people since growing conditions might be different.

AmyRey

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Found this:
Around buildings the plant may prove to be a nuisance. The silky-haired seeds of the female plants can clog gutters and the shallow root system may interfere with sewer lines.

Anyone know how far these fluff-balls usually travel from the tree?

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm going to assume that you don't object to drifts of fluff going everywhere, which for some people is reason enough to avoid cottonwood and similar poplars :p

DO NOT PLANT COTTONWOOD (or similar) NEAR BUILDINGS, WATER LINES, SEWERS OR SEPTIC FIELDS. By "near" I mean like within 100-200 feet. You, or whoever lives in the house after you, will sooooo expensively regret it.

Far from the house, in a location where the roots are not going to cause trouble and you won't mind that bits fall off the tree in every strong wind, they are actually rather useful trees, for being fast-growing if nothing else.

But NOT near your house!

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

desertcat

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Cottonwoods are one of my favorites. Unfortunately, most of the time, I'm too stingy with the hose for their tastes. They absolutely adore having wet feet!

Yeah, the seed fluffs are annoying, but they can be pretty when you have a bunch of trees "snowing" on you at once. :rainbow-sun

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
They are a nuisance!!!!! I want all the ones in our neighborhood DEAD! They reproduce like mad and screw up fences, foundations, etc...

Every time the wind blows they drop branches all over the place. We almost lost a corner of our garage to a falling branch. It missed the corner and wiped out the trampoline.

Cleaning up the fuzz sucks.

old fashioned

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Bad side...
1. It's true the root systems can wreak havoc on anything remotely near it. Being shallow they can ruin concrete roads, sidewalks, building foundations, underground piping, etc
2. They can be fragile in wind storms-by that I mean broken branches or even whole trees have toppled over. It is possible to completely uproot.
3. It looks like it's snowing in the summer, but usually only lasts about 2 weeks. That "snow" can be blown as far as a breeze will take it, then will set a new tree start. They can be quite invasive.

Good side.....
1. Fast grown shade and plenty of leaves for composting in fall. Fast growth can be about a foot a week. Atleast it seems that fast, though sometimes I've sworn they can grow a foot in a day.
2. They smell heavenly during spring and summer.

Not sure if this is good or bad, just depends on how you perceive it.
But if you cut it down (or if it falls down) the tree or branches DOES NOT DIE. If left alone you can see more growth after a few weeks. Our neighbors had a cottonwood that came down and was given to us for firewood. We cut and stacked it and when we got some for fire weeks or months later there was new growth on the cut pieces. It wasn't the greatest for firewood, but we did mix it with fir and alder. I suppose most people would consider cottonwoods more of a nuisance than anything, but I do love the smell.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
AmyRey said:
Found this:
Around buildings the plant may prove to be a nuisance. The silky-haired seeds of the female plants can clog gutters and the shallow root system may interfere with sewer lines.

Anyone know how far these fluff-balls usually travel from the tree?
... in my experience, fluff can ride a breeze for several hundred feet!... and the wind is always blowing in my direction! :hit
The summer 'blizzard' here lasts several weeks... often June and into July ... and believe me, you don't want them within a mile if you (or any neighbors whom you like) have a pool! Although it WILL provide you with many hours of physical activity... with a net! :bun
The cotton coats the window screens, clumps are carried into the house on shoes. I live in MN, I am NOT impressed by snow in the summer! eek!

I have several cottonwoods growing in the woodland area far from any structures and don't have too big of a problem with offspring popping up, but undergrowth is dense, I think too much competition keeps them at bay. Gardens and open soil areas of my yard are usually kept mulched quite well.

They are a beautiful tree... glistening shiny leaves! The fastest growing tree there is, great for quick abundant leaves for compost if you need that.

If you could get your hands on cuttings from a 'male' cottonwood (only girls produce the cotton) .. or find some boys from a reputable grower... and you have a safe area for their roots... I would consider growing them! Otherwise I would look for an alternative fast growing tree suitable for your area...:)

In my findings... the seeds are viable for a very short time, possibly only days ... more good info! ...

Good luck!... Congrats on your new home!! :happy_flower

cwhit590

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I would have to agree w/ everyone else. Cottonwoods can be messy. We have a lot of cottonwoods and aspen in the neighborhood and when the fluff-balls are flying it does look like it's snowing!!! :lol:

Mature cottonwoods can be very impressive trees. I like the fall color and light bark of aspens too. Like others mentioned....it's probably best to enjoy them from afar.....

AmyRey

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Cool. Thanks everyone for your opinions. :D

I think we'll try and track some down. Then put them on the far side of the lake. It's wet enough around the lake that they should be tickled pink, but far enough away that roots and fluff shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Latest posts