Tell me everything you know about...

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Just a note - if this is a natural, preexisting 'lake', no problemo.

However if it is a constructed pond, with a dam area of any material whatsoever or if it was made by puddling clay into a dug depression, don't plant cottonwoods or anything else with invasive roots anywhere near it. A fairly common cause of unfixable ruination of constructed ponds is when the dam or liner are penetrated by invasive roots. Plug goes out, water seeps out, never gonna hold water again.

Again, if it is an *actual*, naturally-created lake, no problem, tho a significant population of cottonwoods may draw the water level in a shallow pond down noticeably in summer.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

AmyRey

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
It would be at the completely opposite end of the dam. Way away.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You'd want it to be AT AN ABSOLUTE MINIMUM 300 ft or so away at the closest, AND you would be committing to being vigilant in spotting and ripping out seedlings before they get more than a couple feet tall, forever (since the trees will continue to set seed forever).

Just sayin',

Pat

desertcat

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Pat, I'm getting the feeling that you reallly don't like cottonwoods!

Here in the SW, they are one of the only trees that will grow without interference from man...so we're kinda partial to them. Probably because there isn't much trouble (or water) for them to get into. My sister, who lives in the whatever-is-drier-than-arid NE corner of New Mexico would KILL to have a whole bunch of these things. To each their own. :happy_flower

Latest posts