Tell me something you dislike doing that most people enjoy.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Lake Superior?! How far north did you get? I LOVE Lake Superior. Too bad it's glacier level cold.
Wouldn't both me much, and not because five years up in Ithaca, New York gave me a new definition of what "cold" was! I probably wouldn't bother going swimming in the first place, I'd be walking the beaches looking for Lake Superior Agates and Petoskey Stones. And if there were any in the water that required me to wade out to get them, I'd either bring a pair of hip waders or tough it out.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wouldn't both me much, and not because five years up in Ithaca, New York gave me a new definition of what "cold" was! I probably wouldn't bother going swimming in the first place, I'd be walking the beaches looking for Lake Superior Agates and Petoskey Stones. And if there were any in the water that required me to wade out to get them, I'd either bring a pair of hip waders or tough it out.

the rocks along the shore of Lake Superior are quite different than those along Lake Michigan in the Petosky area. you'd not likely find any petosky stones. agates you do find along with some stones i consider other-worldly level of colors and textures. greenstone is much more interesting but pretty rare to find. Mom loves picking stones and we've done all the beaches we can get to along the Petosky area and also along the NW edge of the Keweenaw Peninsula.

i've also done some diving assistance (keeping the boat steady while others dive) going after some specimens of datolite - the location of that vein was kept a secret because of the prices they were getting for those specimens.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I feel like I may have broken some world records for minutes holding your breath in those porta's.

one time i had to go pretty badly and went into one of those and it was so full that the top of the green sludge and piles of leavings were within an inch of the rim of the toilet. i was probably greener than the water when i went back out the door.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
the rocks along the shore of Lake Superior are quite different than those along Lake Michigan in the Petosky area. you'd not likely find any petosky stones. agates you do find along with some stones i consider other-worldly level of colors and textures. greenstone is much more interesting but pretty rare to find. Mom loves picking stones and we've done all the beaches we can get to along the Petosky area and also along the NW edge of the Keweenaw Peninsula.

i've also done some diving assistance (keeping the boat steady while others dive) going after some specimens of datolite - the location of that vein was kept a secret because of the prices they were getting for those specimens.
Well, agates are better than nothing, which is what I usually have around here (there ARE garnet deposits here, but they are so deep you are unlikely to find any without major digging*) Not much fossil action around here either (with us being mostly metamorphic, intact fossils are not something one would normally see. Most of what I HAVE found probably came down on the glaciers, if not in someone's truckful of rocks for building (the prize of my collection, a fist sized piece of what is probably hematitic jasperized Dino bone, I actually found on a flat roof.)

The only place I know of with a lot of small stones and pebbles are part of the Hudson's banks, and there is no way to GET there, since pretty much every inch of the banks is either inaccessible or belongs to one boat club or another. And with the train track running parallel the whole way, there are very few places to cross over in any case. Even back when I COULD get to some of it (during the time I was at sailing camp, which had access to a chunk) there wasn't much to find, just a few hag stones.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
one time i had to go pretty badly and went into one of those and it was so full that the top of the green sludge and piles of leavings were within an inch of the rim of the toilet. i was probably greener than the water when i went back out the door.
:sick

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh how gross!

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got married in Hawaii but you're right, too many people! And most were unfriendly :(
We went to Kawaii, which is one of the smallest islands for our Honeymoon. There was absolutely no one there except chickens and islanders, and directions to places involved things like "Turn at the rusty truck and drive till you see the collapsed barn."

It was awesome.
Getting a manicure. Senseless for me, I USE my hands! The idea of getting fake nails, those long talons I see women wearing is utterly foreign to me.

I don’t like shopping, I have better things to do. I get what I want and go home. Like @Pulsegleaner i cannot stand watching sports, especially on TV. In person it might be fun, but tickets to games have gotten stupid expensive.

Spending more than one day at the beach. One day is fun, second day is getting boring, third day is driving me insane with boredom. A week vacation on a beach would be punishment for me.
I think manicures are for people who don't use their hands. I can't even put nail polish on without it looking chipped to oblivion by the end of the day. :p
Dear Bay, how can I agree so much with all your points!

I wear nothing on my hands, no watch, no ring, completely nothing. When DH proposed to me, the first thing I told him was that I didn't need a ring.

He didn't believe it. After some serious discussions, I agreed to buy a pair of rings that cost less than 150US$. Now he believes, as my ring is always sleeping in the corner of one drawer. 😅
My husband and I had this long drawn out argument haha, I do wear the ring he got me though because it's so smooth and flat it essentially feels like nothing on my finger.
The drive to visit family. Once I'm there, it's all good... No, I don't want to stop and get food. No, I don't want to go take a looksee at that cool thing over there... Nope, I can hold it... can we just be there already?? 😅😂
My husband is like a charging rhinocerous when going on long drives. NO stops, NO rests, NO hotels just drive 36 hours straight and be done with it.

This last trip I tried to put reins on the rhino and booked stops along the way. He was good going down, told me he'd figure it out past a certain point including hotels--and drove all the way back in one go at his 'figure it out' point. >_> He gets no second chances.

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We went to Kawaii, which is one of the smallest islands for our Honeymoon. There was absolutely no one there except chickens and islanders, and directions to places involved things like "Turn at the rusty truck and drive till you see the collapsed barn."

It was awesome.

I think manicures are for people who don't use their hands. I can't even put nail polish on without it looking chipped to oblivion by the end of the day. :p

My husband and I had this long drawn out argument haha, I do wear the ring he got me though because it's so smooth and flat it essentially feels like nothing on my finger.

My husband is like a charging rhinocerous when going on long drives. NO stops, NO rests, NO hotels just drive 36 hours straight and be done with it.

This last trip I tried to put reins on the rhino and booked stops along the way. He was good going down, told me he'd figure it out past a certain point including hotels--and drove all the way back in one go at his 'figure it out' point. >_> He gets no second chances.
We were near Honolulu so very touristy place. Next time we plan to go to the smaller island.

Lol my husband and yours would get along so well! He can drive for hours without stopping and it drives me nuts.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
DH did the long solo drives before I met him, 20 hrs straight Denver (CO) to Decatur (IL.)
On Our trips we switched off every 2 hrs and topped off the tank. We did numerous all night drives, but Really whowever had the helm at 4AM ended up pulling into a rest stop for 3 hrs to sleep.
We trained our DD's to drive. On vacation, as each DD got her license, we would let her drive the long and boring Interstate sections with low traffic. Next month 2 DD's are driving their Dad to CO, and he will be the passenger.
I have a hard time trusting a driver who won't share the driving on a long drive. You get tired and dull if you don't take a break. Just MHO.

Latest posts