Tell/show me your favorite shade plants!

GrowinVeggiesInSC

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I just finished making a small planter box out of a wood pallet. I put it in one of the only areas that is all shade in my yard. I can't keep anything alive in this corner because the dogs trample it if it's in the ground, hence the planter box. I have two more pallets and I plan on building two more planter boxes to put in this area. I'm hoping to eventually score a free or cheap bird bath (or something I can use as such) off CL.
I am looking to plant something that would blend in with a woodland garden look. I think the small grape vine I just found in my front yard is going to go in the back of the box. The wire fencing is not attached, I just stuck it in there to see if I want to use it as a trellis. The blue wire you can see in the picture is for the "underground" fence for one of our dogs (long story).

DSC03863.jpg

DSC03861.jpg

DSC03862.jpg

I am so unfamiliar with shade plants because I don't have much shade! What are your favorite shade plants? Tell me and/or show me pictures if you have them!

THANKS! :bow

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm not good with shade plants at all... I tried lily of the valley under some azealas on the west side of the yard. However... there was TOO much sun even there for them :/

We don't have ANY trees (at least none with leaves that are taller then 4') other then the pond. So I have not one shade plant.

IF I could I would suggest the bleeding heart plants.... they look awesome!!! You should try some of them maybe?! :D

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, bleeding heart would do great along that wooded edge. It will also grow in the sun, but it turns brown mid-summer and looks kind of bad. In the shade, it should stay green all season...I have seen hostas do quite well in a planter box. Begonias would do fine there, as well. May I add, that box turned out wonderful! That is a great way to use a pallet! Keep your eyes open on garbage day- my daughter brought home 2 birdbath bottoms and I rigged up tops for them. Free! That corner of your yard will be lovely...Enjoy!

GrowinVeggiesInSC

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
lesa said:
Yes, bleeding heart would do great along that wooded edge. It will also grow in the sun, but it turns brown mid-summer and looks kind of bad. In the shade, it should stay green all season...I have seen hostas do quite well in a planter box. Begonias would do fine there, as well. May I add, that box turned out wonderful! That is a great way to use a pallet! Keep your eyes open on garbage day- my daughter brought home 2 birdbath bottoms and I rigged up tops for them. Free! That corner of your yard will be lovely...Enjoy!
Thank you! I was wondering about hostas, I do like them a lot.
I frequently cruise the neighborhood the night before trash day. People throw out all kinds of treasures! One of the reasons I got a mini van was so I could haul "stuff."

GardenGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Nice planter. :thumbsup I may have to steal the idea and tell my DH to bring home some pallets. :p
As for shade plants, try looking into Astillbe and Corra Bells (or Corral, can't remember). The Astillbe are fern like with pretty flower spikes that look like fairy dust. They dry nicely on the plant. The Corra Bells are lower lying with Geranium like leaves and pretty small bell like flowers on long leaders. Might make and interesting combo.

GrowinVeggiesInSC

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
GardenGirl said:
Nice planter. :thumbsup I may have to steal the idea and tell my DH to bring home some pallets. :p
As for shade plants, try looking into Astillbe and Corra Bells (or Corral, can't remember). The Astillbe are fern like with pretty flower spikes that look like fairy dust. They dry nicely on the plant. The Corra Bells are lower lying with Geranium like leaves and pretty small bell like flowers on long leaders. Might make and interesting combo.
Sounds very pretty! Thanks!
Feel free to steal the pallet idea. I am planning on doing more planters, then a bench for the garden. :cool:

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've had good luck with hostas, coral bells, and astilbe. I also just planted something called lamium, which is a nice ground cover with pretty pink flowers.

GardenGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
curly_kate said:
I've had good luck with hostas, coral bells, and astilbe. I also just planted something called lamium, which is a nice ground cover with pretty pink flowers.
I just saw the lamium at the nursery for the first time this year. They looked pretty on the info pics. :)

chills

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
GrowinVeggiesInSC so very kool!
can i ask? did you find it hard to get the nails out? and did you use a circular saw?
i see pallets in my future!!
thanks

Latest posts