Temp Greenhouse/coldframe

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hubby through it together today since I may not get my greenhouse this year after all. So I have a little something on the deck to grow lettuce and some cool weather veggies. Its got a door on the side, and he's putting in a glass shelves so I can have plants on top and on the bottom too.

cold_frame1.jpg

What do you think?

elijahboy

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
very clever and even better since its recycled if i had some free windows i most certainly would do that

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Looks like a "winner", to me. Am always on the lookout for discarded window. Would love to find enough, eventually, to build a small greenhouse.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My husband has black plastic liners for his tool boxes, and he's going to put them on the bottom of the 3' x 3' x 3' cube. That and a black milk jug of water should help get the temps up. I want to do some starts out there next month. I want to be able to get enough tomatoes started to sell a bunch.

I love I can have a plexiglass shelf in there. :D

I also have 22 more windows on the side of the house!!!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh, and he found the undermount sink being dumped at the metal scrap place today, so grabbed it up to build me my garden table I want.

Now he's unemployed he's trying SO hard to keep busy.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
boggybranch said:
vfem said:
Now he's unemployed he's trying SO hard to keep busy.
I know what he's dealin' with, v........been unemployed, myself, since April 3, 2008.
Yeah he got laid off in Oct 2008, and was lucky enough to find a job Dec 2008. So we're just going to have to do this again.

I'm super sad now because my brother is over here with hubby drinking today... he got laid off today too!

My mom is still unemployed, and my dad... and my husband's brother is too... and his step-mom and his uncle and his uncle's wife...

Its just a nasty nasty nasty time!!!

Thanks obsessed... I have the door on the side and I'm putting on a handle tomorrow when we touch it up. I'm thinking of painting it.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Love it!! I knew you could make something cute and functional out of old windows!! Can't wait to see what you grow in there. It is still very cold here, but I think I am going to take one of my cold frames out of storage, and try to grow some mini-greens... Just can't wait any longer!!

Latest posts