Tent caterpillars

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
My 3 trunked birch tree and a number of blueberry bushes have been invaded by hordes of tent caterpillars. :duc I pruned off the ones on the blueberry bushes ( berries are a rare sighting ) and up to 18+/- feet on the birch tree using a stepladder and a extention limb pruner. The higher up the tree is totally out of reach with the equipment that I have. What would you use to effectively eliminate the invading hordes ? Making them pets is NOT an option as I have my plate full supporting extravagant lifestyles of moles and verticillium wilt !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :th

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
How tall is the tree, Bob? I wonder if a high pressure sprayer with insecticide could be rigged up to reach that far. Isn't spinosad labeled for tent caterpillars?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
BT or Sevin works too. When you spray with a liquid it goes through the web and hits the little buggers. I used BT last year and it worked great, but I could reach those. Good luck with that high pressure sprayer.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bob for first time I had this problem this spring. At first used a propane torch to burn nests. Then realized some where out of reach. I used sevin in a garden sprayer that worked great. I have good water pressure so was able to reach high with sprayer Good luck

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
This tree is about 10 ft. taller than the top ridge of the house. The city water coming out 25 ft long hose barely reaches the top of the house. So chances of using a hose end sprayer may not be the best option. My 4 gallon backpack sprayer ... nope, not even close. I have ferns, azalias, heathers, lavenders, and thyme groundcover under the shade of this tree . Since these caterpillars eat the tree leaves ... Is there a systemic insecticide available that would do the deed ? @seedcorn

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a twin of the Rockefeller Christmas tree growing on my front lawn. One day I decide I wanted a lighted star on top for xmas. I placed a ad on CL for part man part monkey to clime my tree and place star on top $100 cash. You would not believe some of the replies I got :epI did get my star placed.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
This tree is about 10 ft. taller than the top ridge of the house. The city water coming out 25 ft long hose barely reaches the top of the house. So chances of using a hose end sprayer may not be the best option. My 4 gallon backpack sprayer ... nope, not even close. I have ferns, azalias, heathers, lavenders, and thyme groundcover under the shade of this tree . Since these caterpillars eat the tree leaves ... Is there a systemic insecticide available that would do the deed ? @seedcorn
I just googled "systemic insecticide for trees" and got lots of hits. I bet you can find something at the garden shop.

Latest posts