Territorial Hummingbird

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I know someone had a bossy hummingbird they were sharing a story of earlier. This is one of our ruby throated hummingbirds standing his ground. He's protecting our feeder as his own right now, and he watches me like a hawk and act if he's going to attack me when I got out to fill it. He does not like sharing!

I'm sure there is a nest somewhere close by and we're going to go try to find where it may be. We think it may be in the Mamosa tree on the neighbor's property.

14084_hummingbord1.jpg

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We had this happen in Arizona. Boy did I get told off if his feeder was empty, too!

The advice I got was to put up a second feeder. He can't guard both at the same time, so the other ones will be able to eat.

--
Wendy

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
How funny! It never fails, at the moment I bring my feeder in to fill it, the hummingbird if flying outside the window- looking at me!!! He is definitely complaining about my slow service!! Just saw my first hummer, this weekend. Glad to see them back!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Its pouring rain and he is sitting soaking wet on that tomato cage chancing away any hummer that comes near ANY of the feeders now! SHEESH! :he Hubby keeps moving the feeders to keep control, but is losing the battle. :rose

beavis

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You would be aggressive too if all you ate was sugar all day long lol!

I have four feeders up. Some of them are spaced closely, some are farther away. Mix it up a bit.

Aggression is just something that come with having hummingbirds, consider it their special personality trait.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
beavis said:
You would be aggressive too if all you ate was sugar all day long lol!

I have four feeders up. Some of them are spaced closely, some are farther away. Mix it up a bit.

Aggression is just something that come with having hummingbirds, consider it their special personality trait.
I told hubby to just let it be... finding food is especially hard for them. But its almost as much fun to watch him try to make them all get along and share... its like watching him at a birthday party surrounded by 3 year olds and he's holding the cake and ice cream all 20 of them want!!! HAHAHAHA :lol: