Texas

cockadoodlemom

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Guess I will be the first to post from The Lone Star State. Well that makes me feel special. I live on my Mom and Dads 42 acre farm thats an hour away from Dallas.

Txchikngardners

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We're in the southeast corner - or as the bulletin board states: "the right side" of Texas :happy_flower

Just 30 minutes north of the Gulf of Mexico, 15 minutes west of the Louisiana state line and skirting the northern edge of the "Golden Triangle" - in the heart of the big thicket :coolsun

franko

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hello fellow Texans. I moved last week from my home in Hunt, Tx to my home in Port O'connor Tx till April or May, then back to Hunt. Port O'Connor is one step above Hunt in that it has three filling stations instead of one. All the same, it has no curbs and that's what I like. I just bought a beautiful Line tree in Port Lavaca last week and have been working on my palm trees. We still have not had a freeze that I know of. The grass has slowed down, but will need a trim in a week or two. Lots of geese and ducks this year. The sky was black with geese last week. One bad thing about duck season is the airboats. Sounds like a freeway at five in the morning when they are taking hunters out to the blinds and then at dark when they bring them back. Be glad when it's over. Come to think of it it may be over, I didn't hear them today. I thinking about a little square foot garden anyone have any luck with one? Well, I guess that's enough jawing. Franko

tentreeacres

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hello Texans! I'm originally from FL, but this is my second year in Texas. I'm also nearly an hour from Dallas. I'm really new to this gardening thing, and I'm hoping to learn a lot. I know nothing of the soil I'm living on now so I'm glad to know someone else in my region to learn from.
texas.jpg

franko

Leafing Out
Reaction score
tentrees, were glad to have you. Hope you left those darn hurricanes back in your old home state. You can get a wealth of information from your local county AG departament. They have lot's of stuff and it all pertains to your area. Also, here is a link for the A&M website. Like the map. Did you do it? franko http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/travis/lg_e_vegetables.htm

Reaction score
I'm here near Springtown, Poolville area. Northwest of Ft Worth about 40 miles. Hello to everyone.

tentreeacres

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome! No I didn't make that pic, but I thought it was cute and my fellow Texans would like it. When I was a kid I always said that if I live anywhere other than FL it would be Texas or Kentucky. (horse country) Texas seemed better to me!

Actually I miss the hurricanes. Yes it is true that we have hurricane parties! It was really bad in 2004, but luckily I didn't sustain any damage and that was a record year, having 4 hurricanes cross over the state. Very rare. But mostly just a lot of wind and rain.........

Oh, and when I first moved out here the ground was so dry there were huge cracks in the earth. FREAKED ME OUT!!! :ep :lol: I had a hard time adjusting to the fact that you could actually walk on the cracked ground! In FL when you see cracked ground like what's out here, it usually means sink hole and you better steer clear!!! If the ground is cracking near your house........you're in a heap of trouble!!!!

Wattles

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hello fellow Texans! I'm in north-eastern San Antonio. We just bought this house this last summer and I have got a ton of work ahead of me, starting a garden from scratch. :weight I want to rip up all the sod out front and do a bunch of natives/xeriscape type of thing, do a large herb garden on the side, and a big vegetable garden out back. All of this as it is now is just sod and lots of gravel. UGH. This isn't going to be easy. I'll just have to pace myself and do little bits at a time. I'm not sure where I'll start but one of these days I'll just go ahead and jump in. I've got my compost bin going and I've got seeds started and they're gonna need real homes soon. I'm excited!! I'm from cold snowy IL so this will be really exciting for me getting to put out seedlings before May 1st (my old zone 5 last frost date!). This will be my first Texas garden!
WOOHOO! :rose

Tara

cockadoodlemom

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Just wanted to say hello fella Texans :frow We didn't get to have much of a garden last year so we are hoping to make up for it this year. The garden spot will be huge and I am so thankful we get to make as big as we want. I think last couple of years it was a 40X20 and the cantolope patch was 10X10. Well yall have a good one and take care!

Latest posts