Texas

Franciee

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I am in Marble Falls about 60 miles North West of Austin. Can someone tell me when to grow what. I had so many tomato plants and cucumber plants and most of them are all dead already my giant tomato plants lost all there flowers and nothing. I just put two plants in the ground to see if I can get any more this year because I do not want to buy from the store. What can I plant now and is there something I should ad to the soil. thank you
Francie

katz

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm from Tyler,Texas
I grow a large garden, I have fruit trees and 2 citrus trees ,grapes and berries ,just a few easy care flowers for pollination , dairy goats for milk and cheese and laying chickens for fresh eggs.
I am also into freezing,canning and make jam

Reaction score
Ah, Texas....born and bred, here. Don't worry about the cracks in the ground...In Corpus Christi, where I grew up, the golf course has a special rule about that...a free drop if your ball fell into a crack on the fairway. I'm now north of Dallas, not too far from Oklahoma. Dealing with actual seasons was a shock for this coastal low land boy at first! Glad to meet other Texans here and share gardening ideas, successes, and the failures as well.

Ina

Leafing Out
Reaction score
;Hi Fellow Texas Gardeners,
I live in Northeast Harris County, and just west of the Sheldon Resevoir, a few miles outside of Houston. I've been gardening for several years, but still don't know what zone I'm in. I live on 5 acers, and I like to grow herbs, fruit, and veggies.
The critters that live here are; a 17 year old cat, 2 indoor dogs, 2 outdoor dogs, 20 chickens soon to be laying, and in a couple of months a calf. Oh yea, and 3 humans.
I'm looking for conversation, new ideas, and new sources of information.

Texan

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Ina said:
;Hi Fellow Texas Gardeners,
I live in Northeast Harris County, and just west of the Sheldon Resevoir, a few miles outside of Houston. I've been gardening for several years, but still don't know what zone I'm in. I live on 5 acers, and I like to grow herbs, fruit, and veggies.
The critters that live here are; a 17 year old cat, 2 indoor dogs, 2 outdoor dogs, 20 chickens soon to be laying, and in a couple of months a calf. Oh yea, and 3 humans.
I'm looking for conversation, new ideas, and new sources of information.
Hey, I live in NE Houston too. In fact that dog in your avatar looks familiar. It might be because that dog is Amber and your are my Mom. :cool:

What zone are we in

ninnyl

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Howdy Texan! I'm located in Southern Missouri. I love everything that has anything to do with being outside! I'm the newest member of The Easy Garden! I'm also a Back Yard Chickens member!
Well to answer your question, you are in zone 8. Where temps don't go below 10*. Average date for a first fall frost is November and average date for last spring frost is March! I used my awesome Perennnials book by National Home & Garden Club!!!!

Texan

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
ninnyl said:
Howdy Texan! I'm located in Southern Missouri. I love everything that has anything to do with being outside! I'm the newest member of The Easy Garden! I'm also a Back Yard Chickens member!
Well to answer your question, you are in zone 8. Where temps don't go below 10*. Average date for a first fall frost is November and average date for last spring frost is March! I used my awesome Perennnials book by National Home & Garden Club!!!!
Thank You for the zone thingy. BYC is a great site huh?

GoldenGryphon

Sprout
Reaction score
Howdy!
I'm new to this site and hope to learn lots and share lots. Darling Adorable and I live south-southwest of Houston, outside of Wharton. Yep, I made it to zone 9a and am having fits trying to figure out how to grow anything here.
We currently have a cat, a dog and a budgie. We are planning to add some heirloom chickens - preferably Dorkings and/or Marans - and possibly a trio of smallish swine (Mulefoot is what I'm looking at right now).
We have an acre and whatever land we can briefly 'borrow' next door.
So far I have had the best luck with own-root heirloom roses and 'pass-along' plants from the local garden club and local-ish growers.

Best thoughts!

Latest posts