Thanks a lot Major

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
ninnymary said:
Hmmm...let's see...with airfare, how much will those blackberries cost me? Hmmm...

Mary
oh just forget thinking about getting them on the plane. you know TSA would confiscate them in a heartbeat! :lol:

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay of course we have a spare room and yes bring the dog
My dogs can teach yours how to eat blackberries and chase butterfly's
that's Nola's new thing to do...it's pretty fun to watch her.

Monty fishing is slow in July to many wake boarders out there
but the spring and fall its good crappie fishing, but would rather drive
Two hours to kerr/buggs island lake now that's some great fishing.

Mary those would be some pricey berries, but popping one in your mouth
It would be worth every air mile you earn...!

chickiesmoma now that's the truth Mary would have to take
10 gallons just to get 5 home... Tsa would have get their cut

Seed it would be a great road trip, till you got half way home
and finding out you have eaten all the berries...

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
marshallsmyth said:
Yea, Major's are nice n neat!

Bob, "organic" does not mean "Mary Wana" growing. That's a prejudice to lose. Organic means a love of this beautiful planet.

Right now my Navajo thornless is finishing the last few berries, and my Burbank Thornless is getting past its seasonal production, still ripening some. Oh, and my Loganberry has made a few late berries waiting. Those are my FAVORITE! They have that subtle Raspberry flavor, are pretty large, and pick basically like Raspberries. My version has thorns and wants to grow prostrate so this winter I'll be tying it up onto stakes. Hopefully there will be some suckers to propagate with, else I'll do cuttings or layerings. Supposedly the Fall Gold and Indian Summer Raspberries make flowers for a late summer/fall crop. Haven't yet.

Mine will never be as neat as Major's but they sure will not be the mess that your u-pick place has them in. Right now it's a jungle though. They are new plants and I want them to grow big and happy this year. But Indian Summer! Those get mostly pulled this winter and I'll have a lot of new plants for friends who have the space for a berry that wants to take over the world.
See Marshall ... we have a personal friend, who was my High School Classmate, is a Sheriff in California. So I hear quite a few stories of drug/ " Mary Wanna " busts. Quite a few growing "Mary Wanna" on organic farms among corn, pole beans , pole tomatoes, as well as grape vines. There are drug related murdered bodies found in vinyards and orchards almost on a weekly bases. About 2 years ago, we were looking to buy a home an small acreage or small town near Vancouver, Wa. The realtor showed us a vacant Bank owned 5 acre parcel with a 3 bedroom home. The former owners were busted by the Sheriff. There was a sign on the front gate " xxx organic farms" with a small stand for sale crops . There was about 1 1/2 acres in vegatable garden and small orchard, a chicken coop with run and the rest in woods. Among the woods was quite a few very large tangles of wild blackberries . In the woods and blackberries and the garden we found stump evidence of "Mary Wanna" seized by the Sheriff, as well as brocken/ discarded drug manufacturing equipment and many, many empty chemical bottles. So, not everyone claiming to be "organic" are in it for the love of this beautiful planet. :throw Edit to add : I grew up next door to the police chief. There were 2-5 squad cars in front of his and our houses on a daily evening basis. Therefore , I kept my nose clean. :frow

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Been to Major's It is like a gardeners paradise!! I try to learn something new everytime I go so that I can copy his gardening techniques!!!!

Thanks Major!

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yeah I'm over that place. I'm really bummed because its the one thing I just can't find around here. I talk with all the local U pick farmers and they say they've kicked around the idea but nobody's doing anything but talking. So we'll see.

As far as the price goes, its near Ann Arbor. A VERY liberal minded, and pretty expensive place to live. Its home to the University of Michigan, lots of micro brews, coffee houses, poetry readings etc. You'll see lots of Prius, or Audi, or Mercedes, BMW etc. A place where drinking PBR is considered a retro cool drink, and will pick 2 of the following to fit in. A super tight sweater, a concert T shirt from The Who 1964 from Tuscon Arizona, black skinny jeans, Chuck Taylors, buddy holly glasses, dreadlocks, and soul patches. A place where you can see someone playing guitar on the corner for change, then leave to go to their astrophysics class, or neuro-molecular biology class. Like I said its a different town.

For the other thing.......

The idea behind growing marijuana in other crops is to throw off the distinct color that the plant has when seen from above. If planted in a row of tomatoes or other plants like corn it would be a lot tougher to see especially from the air. The occasional off colored leaves is a lot tougher to pick up if its blended in with other plants. Though at the costs of doing a fly over its usually done on a tip vs just random fly overs unless its a known area for growing.

I'm going to shut up now about this since the internet is a VERY big place.......:hide

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here it is corn. Although we have so much wild growing, not sure why anyone would buy it. I know, strength level. Meth labs have taken over fields. Faster, easier, easier to hide.

Major, u r assuming I would get out of the drive with them? Long trip from IN to NC, no way do they make it half way home, unless in trunk or we r full of them. :)

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I love road trips! can I bring my dogs? woops, I see bay has that question covered.

won't be any berry growing here. not enough water, too much heat. just fond memories growing up in a milder place with lots of berries growing wild: Himalayan black berries, sal lal berries, huckleberries, thimbleberries, raspberries, marionberries, gooseberries, elderberries. I was too dumb then to know how wonderful it all was.

Latest posts