That time

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
of year..... :/ Time to get the summer flowers pulled up and baskets put away for the winter. I hate my gazebo looking so bare. I'm thinking about getting some mums to put around it to keep it from looking so plain.

Another thing I hate to do is cut my roses back and cover them for winter..... so depressing.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cutting back some of the perennials is on my list of to-do things on this beautiful day. I used to wait until spring and cut everything back by hand. Then I tried mowing over all the spent perennial beds in the fall. Loved it! So much less work in the spring.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Every fall my friends church has a mums sale to raise money. Yesterday was the sale, I got a car full of plants and felt good handing over the money for them .Don't feel that way buying from big box store!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dew,ornamental kale looks good as a fall container plant too. The nurseries around here usually get in some kale and pansies as well as mums. It is hard to see all of our flowers go away until next spring. :(

I still have a lot of blooms so I will wait for the freezing weather to turn it all ugly before I do my cleanup. I have echinacea blooming as well as the usual standby black eyed susans, and a clematis has a few newly opened blooms still showing off. A little mini rose in my picket garden is covered with blooms and the crocosmia and japanese anemones which don't always get to bloom before a freeze are looking beauteous.

Red, I do something similar, but I can't get the mower in my beds so I use a hedger. I can't believe how many years it took me to figure that one out. It's so fast! All those cleanups I did with hand clippers are behind me now! :)

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My rose bed looks bad right now. Something ate all the leaves off of the bushes. I think slugs..... :( I will spend tomorrow pruning them back and getting them covered. Then I will start on the planters on the gazebo.

I don't have any churches in the area having any plant sales.... so Riesbecks has mums 3 for 10 bucks. Not a bad price... and they look great!

Adam

Sprout
Reaction score
Well that sounds good but dear its not easy to plant the summer flower if you have extreme hot weather there because mostly plants died with the heat of sunlight. Anyhow I like you idea and plan. Good Luck

Pool Supplies

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Adam said:
Well that sounds good -- BUT DEAR -- its not easy to plant the summer flower if you have extreme hot weather there because mostly plants died with the heat of sunlight. Anyhow I like your idea and plan. Good Luck
Welcome, Adam! It's good to have you here on TEG.

Watch after your Dew, MontyJ. Sounds like Adam is either close to you both or putting out feelers on your young birthday girl.

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
it sounds odd to cut the roses this time of year. here, we'll have roses blooming coming up on Christmas usually. my beds don't offer the space for mowing, but I do use a hedge trimmer & just wack away.

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I did get my roses pruned back and weeds pulled out of my island. Still have some flowers blooming, but my roses are done for the season. :(
As for planting my isrises it will be fine. I will have to find a partial shady to sunny place for them.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the reminder Dew. I need to work on my roses too. Like BJ said, our roses bloom even in the winter. They quit in the heat of the summer.