the 1st annual alexander limato jr memorial vegetable contest

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here is a pic of the Yankees none of them turned red. I think the peppers our daughter picked early in the season may have had time time ripen.
A4EB2DF0-DA7F-445F-9591-4EF97960AC1B.jpeg

Here is a picture of the highlander peppers. They are huge and just starting to turn red. I would have left them growing but it snowed last nite and today so we picked the rest of the garden.
4E9E86F6-7548-4A93-B187-28E7FA422BD7.jpeg

Also included a pic of the Escorial melon taste like regular cantaloupe but much sweeter.
07341656-E33B-4861-9871-08B060E08F28.jpeg

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would declare you the winner. My garden burnt in the drought. I couldn't water it enough to offset the heat. It is still a powdery dust bowl. The only things that did good were the English peas and sugar snap peas, I guess because they were planted so early. I got enough of the New Yorker tomatoes to can tomato sauce, again, because they were so early. I set out scads of Cherokee Purple and German Johnson tomato plants and got not even one tomato. there were a couple of tiny wizened peppers, I gave up and turned the sheep in to eat the galloping weeds.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here is a pic of the Yankees none of them turned red. I think the peppers our daughter picked early in the season may have had time time ripen.View attachment 33190
Here is a picture of the highlander peppers. They are huge and just starting to turn red. I would have left them growing but it snowed last nite and today so we picked the rest of the garden.View attachment 33191
Also included a pic of the Escorial melon taste like regular cantaloupe but much sweeter.View attachment 33192

Wow Collector, those all look great! I have a few of those peppers that are shaped like your Highlanders so I must have had a little success with them. I picked probably 3 Yankee bells. Only the jalapenos turned red.
That Escorial melon is really nice! How early did you start it?
I'm thinking about laying black plastic down for the melon starts next year.

Truthfully though, I love planting the garden and working in it during the early season, then it all unravels and I am distracted with other projects so when it's time to harvest and process I've lost the spark.
I should probably downsize to 3 containers... :(

Remind your wife that I'm nagging her about that project we talked about :frow :)

henless

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My Yankee Bell's are still growing. I'm surprised I have as many as I do. I've never had much luck growing bell peppers. Other kinds of peppers yes, just not bells.

I picked this one today so that I can save the seeds. This is from the plant that I put in a pot right off my front porch. I filled the pot almost full with shredded paper, kitchen scraps, leaves, coffee grinds & tea bags. Topped it off with potting soil and just watered. No added fertilizer.

IMG_6645.JPG IMG_6643.JPG IMG_6644.JPG

As you can see, it grew taller than the tomato cage. It still has several more on the plant.

Here is the same pepper a couple of weeks ago as it was turning red. I thought it looked kinda neat.

IMG_6612.JPG

Here is my 2nd Yankee Bell that is out in the garden. It did not do near as well as the one in the pot. In fact, none of my peppers did very well until after I pulled my green beans down. I guess it's true that you're not supposed to plant green beans & peppers together. It didn't even get as tall as the tomato cage.

IMG_6637.JPG IMG_6638.JPG

My Highlanders went nuts! They have a very good taste, but are a little hot for me. DH loves them. I picked these last week and another batch just like it today. Still have a bunch on the 3 plants in various stages of ripening. All are going into the dehydrator.

IMG_6631.JPG IMG_6634.JPG

I'll be keeping the highlanders separate since they do have a touch of fire to them.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
H
My Highlanders went nuts! They have a very good taste, but are a little hot for me. DH loves them. I picked these last week and another batch just like it today. Still have a bunch on the 3 plants in various stages of ripening. All are going into the dehydrator.

How do you use dehydrated peppers?

Latest posts