The 2014 Garden is Planted.

bobbi-j

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We finally got some warm weather and it finally dried out enough to work in the garden, so we finally got the garden planted this weekend! Growing in our garden this year is: strawberries, 3 kinds of squash, watermelons, gourds, sweet potatoes, tomatoes (LOTS of tomatoes), two kinds of lettuce, purple string beans, green string beans, onions, peas, broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, arugula, garlic and raspberries. And chives. And celery. There, I think I got it all now. Oh, wait - peppers. We also have peppers. It's the biggest garden we've ever planted. I'm not sure why. I think because it was such a long, cold winter and I started buying seeds and starting plants in March, and then the greenhouse opened and I bought plants.... Oh well, we'll see what comes of it by fall. Happy gardening to you all!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
You have a nice assortment of veggies there. Glad you got it all done. What about sweet corn? I hear it's delicious fresh off the stalk.

Mary

bobbi-j

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh yeah, the sweet corn is planted, too. Just not in the garden. The sweet corn patch is on the edge of our field by the barn this year. It gets moved every year. We will put electric fence (several strands) around it once it's up and growing. At first to keep the deer out, then the raccoons. It is best fresh picked. Once you've had it that way, you'll never buy it at the store again. My DH is terribly spoiled and will only eat it fresh off the stalk (or from one of the MANY people selling it in town if he's really hungry for it and theirs is ready before ours). I also freeze sweet corn when we have enough.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, I so wish I could taste fresh corn. Maybe next year, I'll try growing some on a pot on my deck or squeese a tiny bit in at the edge of my bed.

Mary

bobbi-j

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Mary, I hope you can taste fresh sweet corn someday, too. It can't be beat. I don't know how well it would grow in a container, but some at the edge of your garden might work. It's hard for me to grasp that you don't have it available. It's one of those things I take for granted, I guess. We live on a farm so we have plenty of room for a big sweet corn patch (hoping we get enough rain), a large garden, chickens for fresh meat and eggs. I grew up in a suburb of Mpls., but can't imagine living any other way than we do now.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
bobbi-j, that's why I live my gardening life through you guys. Most of you have soooo much space! I always dream of my chickens having a gigantic coop and room to grow corn, cantelope, honeydews, and watermelon. :drool

Mary

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
No sweet corn in our garden either. Too big of a drawn for the deer and raccoons. So we buy it from the farm kids locally. :)

Latest posts