The 2014 Little Easy Bean Network - Get New Beans On The Cheap

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm in. PM to follow...

I've got a lot of new beans from Marshall to grow out this year, so I'll limit myself to two selections.

I would like Star 2054 and Molley’s Zebra.

And Good Mother Stallard, from your website.

Thanks, Russ! This is the most exciting venture we've had on TEG. :D

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just started Bean planting today. Today I planted those 10 African varieties of the African set, and I planted the 3 African varieties from your collection Russ. 3 seeds of each all went into one bed 20 feet long.

Probably be tomorrow I'll plant 3 seeds each of the other 85 I got from you in the front section of beds, plus something like 10 others I've gotten.

Once I have the rest of the main section ready to plant I'll plant 3 more of each of all something like 110 new to me varieties. This way there will be 2 separated parts of my garden, each with all new to me beans planted twice to help with my "failure is not an option" gardening.

I will be working on the back side of my garden, and should be early to mid May that I'll be able to plant one seed more of each of all of them again.

All my beds are receiving antigopher cages I'm making with hardware cloth. That's what's slowing me down, but I'm sure things will be ready, one section and one bed at a time.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi Marshall,

Sounds like a busy but fun gardening time. Preperation takes time, but it really does pay off in the long run.

I'm looking forward to seeing what all those outcrossed beans I found last year are going to do. I'm also going to grow larger amounts of selected snap and dry beans so I can start reporting on their culinary values.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Great selection of beans! Unfortunately I won't be able to join this year as we'll be moving fairly early in the season.

Those Bambarra Nuts are Vigna subterranea and not a Phaseolus vulgaris, I'd highly recommend them for our southerners. They grow sort of like peanuts but the seeds are used like dry beans. I actually got some seeds of a different strain of Bambarra Nuts (a.k.a Earth Peas) from an HG member. Actually three different strains (the Madagascar and Ugandan strains from Richter's and another white-seeded strain). I'd be willing to share seeds with anybody that's interested. I will keep some seeds to see if I can get them to grow up north.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vigna_subterranea

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks SeedObsesser for letting me know what the Bambarra Nut is. I hadn't the slightest idea what those were. I thought they looked something different than P. Vulgaris.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
No problem! Taking a second look, some of the other beans that you have also look like Vigna subterraneas - Jugo and Nyimo. The plants look a lot different than regular bean plants, so you should be able to tell when you plant them. If you manage to get one of your strains to mature up here, please let me know!

Wishin'

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@TheSeedObsesser You are moving further up NORTH ?:thI have a lot of respect for you northerners who garden. How do you northerners grow anything?

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I wouldn't think about moving back north, one of the best things that's ever happened to me was moving a few counties south! I was just referring to the northern states in general (Ohio, Illinois). :)

Bambarra nuts are really meant for warmer climates, so if Mr. Crow could find a variety that would mature here - that would be great!

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I love this opportunity! !, and it is fun to see what you get:ep
I would like to get the woza sugar bean, lazy housewife red, cape sugar bean, and brazilion black!,, cant wait to get tjem started:celebrate

Latest posts