the all new healthy quarantine method - aka - gardening :)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
when we were kids we ate at least a pound of dirt a year at least - a bit gritty but i've had worse...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am wondering why cruise ships seem to be such unhealthy places.

Probably, most of their passengers live in cities. Probably many, many live in apartments, socialize with the public, eat in restaurants ... They have stress free quarters and abundant fresh air. Why are shared infections of one sort or another so often the story?

Do you suppose that it might have to do with being away from plants and soil life? Don't we all feel better in a forest of healthy trees or is that just me? Even on grassland, don't you still have the urge to lie down on it, so as to be as close as possible?

Steve, landlubber

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am wondering why cruise ships seem to be such unhealthy places.

Probably, most of their passengers live in cities. Probably many, many live in apartments, socialize with the public, eat in restaurants ... They have stress free quarters and abundant fresh air. Why are shared infections of one sort or another so often the story?

Do you suppose that it might have to do with being away from plants and soil life? Don't we all feel better in a forest of healthy trees or is that just me? Even on grassland, don't you still have the urge to lie down on it, so as to be as close as possible?

Steve, landlubber

aside from the age factor i'd agree with you that the lack of exposure of the interior surfaces to the elements does make them more likely to harbor and to hold diseases longer than they would otherwise. plus there are a lot of them. perhaps the pools, hottubs and other many shared facilities. to me it's just packing too many people too close together - which doesn't appeal to me any more than flying in an airplane does...

perhaps a part of it is that when you're on land and walking in a hallway or up and down stairs you don't usually need to use a railing - whereas at sea if it is rolling you are going to be more likely to grab that rail.

if they could cover those rails with a take away layer that could be cleaned between trips or even daily during rougher weather then perhaps they could cut down some of the spread.

if you look at the news reports the most common disease that is the issue with cruise ships is Norovirus and is really easily spread. since i'm not a Norovirus expert that's about all i can say about them other than from what i have read they don't sound pleasant to have.

there's a lot to be said about the UV rays that come from the sun and how that does tend to kill off a lot of microbes through time...

Latest posts