The Any Wonderful Food You Made From Your Garden Today Thread!

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
O.k. HiDelight are you challenging us? You're on!!

Give me and my feeble mind a moment to figure out something I like, but havn't tried yet.

Oh, I love bamboo shoots in my Vietmanise (sp?) hot and sour soup!!

BRB!

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
O.k. HiDelight are you challenging us? You're on!!

Give me and my feeble mind a moment to figure out something I like, but havn't tried yet.

Oh, I love bamboo shoots in my Vietmanise (sp?) hot and sour soup!!

BRB!
ok I am really competitive you know :) and am so going to kick your Racine butt!

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hattie, your vegetarian recipe for grape leaves with mushrooms sounds really tasty to me. :D I should definitely try it.

HiDelight . . . :he We seem to be crossing our lines of communication. I'm the one making nettle paneer. I also made nettle tea in the process of cooking down the nettles. I've been adding it to my iced mint tea whenever I'm feeling a little under the weather. Wow, that stuff really makes me feel 100%. :D I'm sad that my nettle tea is just about finished off. My nettle patch is small, but seems to be growing, so maybe next year I will have more to play with?

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
Hattie, your vegetarian recipe for grape leaves with mushrooms sounds really tasty to me. :D I should definitely try it.

HiDelight . . . :he We seem to be crossing our lines of communication. I'm the one making nettle paneer. I also made nettle tea in the process of cooking down the nettles. I've been adding it to my iced mint tea whenever I'm feeling a little under the weather. Wow, that stuff really makes me feel 100%. :D I'm sad that my nettle tea is just about finished off. My nettle patch is small, but seems to be growing, so maybe next year I will have more to play with?
perhaps I should take some ritalin I am sorry!

nettles are so good! and they grow like crazy here I can not believe I missed out ..it makes a HUGE differance!

the bamboo shoots taste like hearts of palm!

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
I also made nettle tea in the process of cooking down the nettles. I've been adding it to my iced mint tea whenever I'm feeling a little under the weather. Wow, that stuff really makes me feel 100%. :D I'm sad that my nettle tea is just about finished off. My nettle patch is small, but seems to be growing, so maybe next year I will have more to play with?
DM--Tell me more!! I have nettles everywhere but not enough ways to use them. Can you please explain your tea in as much detail as you have time for? Thanks so much!

I'm enjoying stir-fried asparagus, fresh heirloom lettuce salad (see Seed Saver's Exchange famous blend), spinach, walking onions, green garlic and our first strawberries! Unfortunately, the time of year that offers the very best ingredients also leaves me very short on time (I have a small CSA), so I'm drooling over your recipes but keeping it very simple here at home :)

Quick suppers are scrambled eggs from the girls, quick stir-fried asparagus with green garlic and salad with fresh onions and homemade vinaigrette.

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Me&thegals -- yes, it was very simple. What you do is harvest the nettles in April or so when they are still short (preferably 6" tall or so and before they start to flower). You cut off just the very top leaves, which should look more tender. Wear gloves, of course. Put the nettles in a pan with a little water (the less you use the stronger the tea will be, obviously). Boil them for about 10 minutes. Then strain out the leaves and use the leaves in place of cooked spinach, or what have you, and use the liquid as nettle tea. Store in an airtight container in the fridge. I think you can also can it if you wanted to. The tea itself tastes somewhat vegetal, but when you mix it in with mint tea, you really do not notice the flavor. :)

Yes, this time of year is crazy busy. I have been trying to make easy and quick meals too.

HiDelight -- No problem, I figure you are probably busy and somewhat distracted, especially since you are probably contemplating your next meal in the back of your head! :D

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Big brown horse -- Nettles are in the mint family. Ever hear of stinging nettle? I don't know if they have it in TX, as it seems to like moist soil. It is one of the few plants in this region that will bite you, if you get too close. :) This is especially good to know if you do a lot of hiking.

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
HiDelight -- what kind of bamboo are you growing/eating? Just curious. I have two running types, but have yet to let them run wild.

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
Big brown horse -- Nettles are in the mint family. Ever hear of stinging nettle? I don't know if they have it in TX, as it seems to like moist soil. It is one of the few plants in this region that will bite you, if you get too close. :) This is especially good to know if you do a lot of hiking.
Oh!! I get it! Yes, Texas was full of things that want to kill you! Bull nettle was the worst, it almost made its way through your boot!! Stinging grass was in everyone's yard...MUST wear shoes in TX!

If this challenge is for things that come out of our garden, then I'm gonna loose. :( Unless a dirt sandwhich with a side of mulch counts.) My things aren't ready yet. I do have some frozen rhubarb...hmmmm...

Latest posts