The Any Wonderful Food You Made From Your Garden Today Thread!

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Joined
Mar 21, 2009
Messages
1,407
Reaction score
1
Points
109
Location
On the beautiful Salish Sea
Three times a day something from the garden graces my table now ..(and I have plenty of fresh greens to share with friends) ..I just can not get enough and feel so good when I eat lots of greens!

so what are you making from your garden for dinner tonight (any night actually!) ?

tonight we are having a roasted pepper crusted leg of lamb with whole radishes roasted in the lamb drippings (roasted radishes are so good if you have not tried them that way and love radishes you should!)

with a side of braised mixed greens (broccoli rabe, escarole and spinache with garlic butter)

for dessert buttery roasted rhubarb with fresh whipped cream

iced herb tea to drink

tell me a garden is not good mental and physical therapy :)
 

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Joined
Apr 24, 2009
Messages
449
Reaction score
0
Points
84
Location
Puget Sound Baby!
Well, HiDelight and I are in the same zone, but I carelessly planted too early and lost a crop of lettuce and tomatoes. :/ My new lettuce is about one inch high still and my carrots are about one inch long and my raddishes are the size of peas. We are behind here.

About the only thing I have been able to enjoy this spring is my sage, chives, lavendar and rhubarb. Which reminds me, tonight I will get out my newly frozen rhubarb and make a nice dessert of sorts.

HiDelight you sound like a devine chef!!! :drool
 

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Joined
Mar 21, 2009
Messages
1,407
Reaction score
1
Points
109
Location
On the beautiful Salish Sea
big brown horse said:
Well, HiDelight and I are in the same zone, but I carelessly planted too early and lost a crop of lettuce and tomatoes. :/ My new lettuce is about one inch high still and my carrots are about one inch long and my raddishes are the size of peas. We are behind here.

About the only thing I have been able to enjoy this spring is my sage, chives, lavendar and rhubarb. Which reminds me, tonight I will get out my newly frozen rhubarb and make a nice dessert of sorts.

HiDelight you sound like a devine chef!!! :drool
just wait a minute and you will have more food than you can eat! if this is your first year to garden in WA

basically drop a seed in the ground and then JUMP BACK!!!!
tomatoes can safely go in now and you have to protect them from the rain ..this weather is a tease.. because we ain't done raining yet! we have a bad time with that black rot the same ones that kills potatoes (like in Ireland during the potato death) ..you can get a full load of tomatoes on your vines and over night your plants croke with this horrid rot! as well so you have to keep your plants dry ...trelis the vining ones and with the bushy ones put plastic tents on top

thanks for saying "devine chef" (blush blush blush) I really truly just love to cook :)

and I love to hear what other people are making gives everyone lots of good ideas!

BBH dont forget the tilth edible plant sale next Sunday if you are able to go it is really great ..plan to go early however! all the plants are grown here so they produce like crazy!

Wifezilla I am a salad loving fool I could eat it every day of my life (and mostly do) sometimes for breakfast I will make a big salad even!
 

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
816
Reaction score
1
Points
109
Location
Massachusetts, zone 7a
Tonight is venison burgers from the evil deer that ate my orchard in spring 2008. With garden lettuce on top. Does that count?

Oh, and vichyssoise with cress, onions and potatoes from the garden. Although I must admit, the deer were tastier.
 

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Joined
Apr 24, 2009
Messages
449
Reaction score
0
Points
84
Location
Puget Sound Baby!
HiDelight,

Thanks for the heads up on the plant sale. I always forget to look down there in that index.

Thanks for the advice and encouragement!!

My garden is thriving, just not quite ready to eat it yet!! :D
 

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Joined
Apr 24, 2009
Messages
449
Reaction score
0
Points
84
Location
Puget Sound Baby!
Rosalind said:
Tonight is venison burgers from the evil deer that ate my orchard in spring 2008. With garden lettuce on top. Does that count?

Oh, and vichyssoise with cress, onions and potatoes from the garden. Although I must admit, the deer were tastier.
Yummy!! :drool
 

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Joined
Mar 21, 2009
Messages
1,407
Reaction score
1
Points
109
Location
On the beautiful Salish Sea
big brown horse said:
Rosalind said:
Tonight is venison burgers from the evil deer that ate my orchard in spring 2008. With garden lettuce on top. Does that count?

Oh, and vichyssoise with cress, onions and potatoes from the garden. Although I must admit, the deer were tastier.
Yummy!! :drool
yummmmy to the whole thing! but the vichyssoise a HUGE yum!!!

it will be quite a while before I get potatoes I just see them poking through the dirt now


BBH the sale is worth the drive! (watch it be lousy this year after I brag it up :p) there is a farmer's market right next door to where they are holding it

I have never grown cress but I adore the stuff! I should give it a try!
 

Sylvie

Garden Ornament
Joined
Jul 18, 2008
Messages
163
Reaction score
0
Points
79
Location
NE Ohio
Salad with a vinaigrette made with chive flower vinegar.
Green onions.
Bean and rice soup.

I'm vegetarian. The garden rules my meals. :coolsun
 

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Joined
Apr 24, 2009
Messages
449
Reaction score
0
Points
84
Location
Puget Sound Baby!
Chive flower vinegar? Would you please post the recipe? I have chives flowering right now! Sounds devine!

HiDelight,

I already called a friend to go with me. I have yet to discover Issaquah!

edit: I just cut fresh rhubarb and I am dhydrating it on 175 degrees in the oven. I tossed it with raw sugar first. I was told (on SufficientSelf) that when done, the rhubarb has a gummy (bear) consistancy. I'm putting it in my daghter's lunch tomorrow! (Use parchment paper and it will take from 2-4 hours to dehydrate. Pull off the parchment when it is warm.)
 

Latest posts

Top