The Any Wonderful Food You Made From Your Garden Today Thread!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have picked 2 cucumbers from garden today... I have decided that the last 3 ripe brandywine tomatoes I have are going to be slow roasted in the oven with garlic, basil, oregano and olive oil. Then I am going to peel and puree them in the food processor with some balsamic vinegar to create a thick tomato sauce (kind of a quick sundry) so I can pour it over my cucumbers and spinach for a nice salad. Hubby wants me to make a thick steak for him to have... otherwise he said he won't eat ANY kind of salad without something bloody! :lol:

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
karanleaf said:
HiDelight said:
awww give escarole another chance! I did not like it years ago and grew to love it ..now it is my favorite green I grow the one that is dark green to a creamy white in the middle it is a lot like a wonderful lettuce with a bite instead of the sharp bitter endive (same thing I guess escarole and endive but I always think of the big leafy green one used in Italian soups that is what I grow)

if you lived closer I could give you some babies I have tons of plants and find the second year (this year) they were even better than the first ..I thought when I left them they would die but they came back stong and full heads ...usually by now they finish but are still growing strong and not a bit of bolting ..my broccoli rabe has bolted however ...I keep cutting it back but it insists on bolting

my husband just informed me we have enough strawberries for dessert tonight

I made an upside down strawberry shortcake to die for ..but am now on a strict diet! wow a few cakes here and there and all of a sudden 10lbs comes out of nowhere ..go figure huh?
:lol: :gig :gig :lol: The laugh is on me :gig :gig When you said escarole I thought you were talking of the garlic and butter sauted snails :sick :gig :lol: :lol: :gig :th I never gave the veggie a thought :idunno :rolleyes: :gig No it's like the chard I had never tried it yet. And now DH and I both love the chard it will be a regular with us now. I shall give escarole a try , can you grow as a cool weather crop? Like this fall?

Strawberry cake oh my :p yum

:happy_flower Karan :D
OHHHHH how funny!!! you mean escargot! (or however you spell it!) I like those too but do not eat my garden snails ..not yet any way but I would if we had real snails not just slugs

I was that kid who would eat a bug if you said "I dare you!"

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I pulled my all my red and some of my golden beets today :love and the greens are outstanding so I am making some borscht for dinner with the greens instead of cabbage

my house smells so freaking good I have to get out of it before I eat it now!!! (it is not done yet)

I love all borscht how do you guys like/make it? there are so many variations.. ..the cold simple beet kind you have ice cold with sour cream ...or like I am making today the long simmered all day hot kind (also topped with sour cream) with a great cut of fatty beef, onions and (usually cabbage but why when you have these beatiful chardlike greens on top?) ..I also tossed some rhubarb in ..about a cup ...let me tell you about a savory dish with both rhubarb and beets...well you have not lived :thumbsup

I want to make biscuits but know if I do I will eat 6 of them dripping with butter and really ...the sensible HiDelight knows there are better things to do with her body right now then stuff it mindlessly with biscuits ..(like that white cake with the tangerine marscapone is going on in Vfem's mind! ...so I will go with "no" and enjoy this borscht:)

I am going to make that cake ..not today ..not this month ..but I will make it!!!

gone 2 seed

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We just had the best collards ever. I wish I had planted more. i cut them in strips and washed well. sauted some onion with bacon and cooked them down just adding a very small amount of salt.

beavis

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Making a greek salad with romaine, feta, olives, red onion and (cucumbers and tomatoes from the garden).

My free-range chickens have developed a taste for the large tomatoes, oh its on now!

karanleaf

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
For lunch today DH & I decided to Have Chard with the Hot Bacon Dressing, I sauteed 1 of our onions with the bacon and added to the dressing Yummy :p

My kohlrabi is about the size of a soft ball should I harvest it now? And any suggestions as how to prepare it?

Thanks Gang Have a Great Weekend :coolsun

:happy_flower Karan :D